Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cele|bitchy

Cele|bitchy


Bryan Cranston: “Any one of us could become a horrible dangerous person”

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 08:50 AM PDT

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I love “Breaking Bad” so much. It’s just a phenomenal show that manages to bring it week after week. This upcoming weekend’s episode is sadly the last of the fourth season, which makes me want to ram my fists against the wall and yell “why?!” but maybe I’ve just had too much coffee this morning.

Star Bryan Cranston was on “The Today Show” this morning promoting the finale. I kind of vacillate on whether I find him hot or not. I know he’s an older dude at 55, but there’s something really compelling about him when he has hair. Then he plays his character too well and I start to associate him with Mr. White and think he’s a nut job with cancer who just happens to be a genius at chemistry. Cranston said some pretty interesting things this morning in regard to his character and what he’s learned from the show, namely that we’re all capable of being criminals.

Matt Lauer: An article I read, which by the way called [Breaking Bad] one of the best four shows of the last ten years… says “It seemed like this was going to be the story of a man forced to become a criminal because he’s dying of cancer. That’s the elevator pitch, but that’s completely unrelated to what the show has become. The central question on Breaking Bad is this ‘What makes a man bad?’ Is it true?

Bryan Cranston: It is. What I’ve learned from this experience is that any one of us, even the meekest person among us, could become a horrible dangerous person given the right set of circumstances.

Matt: In a split second?

Bryan: Well maybe not in a split second. Over four or five seasons.

He was funnier than I expected. In a way I agree, because I know I would do some desperate things in a life or death situation. You never know what’s going to happen and that’s a large part of this show’s appeal.

As for how it’s going to go for Bryan’s character Walter White, he said “he’s down the road too far now… it started out very altruistic, he wanted to leave something for his family… He decided to do something risky for the first time in his life.”

Matt questioned Bryan about his career post-”Malcolm in the Middle” and the fact that he was only being offered goofy dad roles. Matt asked him “Most actors want to support their families, how hard was it to turn those [roles] down?

Bryan joked “I don’t care for my family very much so I was willing to take the risk. It was easy to turn them down actually because the industry has the tendency to try and pigeonhole an actor… But I don’t want to help them do that, so I [wanted] to veer off and do something else.”

He also explained that he has to fly home every weekend to his family in L.A. when he’s away filming in New Mexico. He sounded pretty ok with it. “Actors historically have been vagabonds… so we have to go and accept that part of our lives.”

I was so impressed with Cranston and my crush was renewed with this interview. He’s funny, grounded and an amazing actor.

There are 16 episodes left for “Breaking Bad” which will be split into two seasons. While we have more of this incredible show to look forward to it surely won’t be enough.

Also, I know Gus is a terrible person and we should want him dead for Jesse and Mr. White’s sake, but he’s so badass that I don’t want him to die. If you guys request it, I’ll do a recap on Monday! Maybe I’ll just link to Videogum’s recap and add my thoughts though, because their recaps are the best.
breakingbad4

breakingbad3

breakingbad2

breakingbad1

breakingbad5

Photos courtesy of AMC

Salma Hayek, billionaire’s wife: “I make my own living and I love it”

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 08:36 AM PDT

wenn3535965

These are some photos of Salma Hayek all over Paris Fashion Week. You know that her husband owns half of these designer lines, so this is basically like Salma walking through her closet - her closet is half the shops in Paris. In the past week, she was front and center at the shows for Yves Saint Laurent, Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Stella McCartney and several more. Ridiculous. Anyway, that's not going to stop Salma from singing "Independent Women" and claiming that her billionaire husband doesn't force her to dress up in the clothes whose labels he owns. Is that really a complaint made against Salma? That she's a Barbie doll for her husband?

salma1

Just because Salma Hayek is married to a powerful businessman doesn’t mean she’s given up her independence.

“I work hard, I make my own living and I love it. I like having financial independence,” Hayek says in the November issue of Redbook. “I don’t ever want to have to depend on anyone completely. But when I have troubles sometimes, it’s nice to have someone there to help.”

Luckily, Hayek can rely on her husband, French billionaire François-Henri Pinault, if need be. Has being married to the CEO of luxury goods firm PPR (which owns Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent) influenced her style?

“I like to play fashion with him, but I’m nobody’s Barbie,” Hayek, 45, says.

One huge influence in her life has been her 4-year-old daughter Valentina Paloma. The actress says she chose to star in the upcoming animated feature Puss in Boots because she wanted to make a movie her daughter could see. While motherhood has had an impact on her career choices, Hayek isn’t shying away from provocative roles.

“I’m playing the queen of a drug cartel in an Oliver Stone film,” says Hayek. “He asked if I’d gone ‘all soft’ because I’m a mother. I said, ‘Yes, but I can be the devil if I need to, because after all, I’m an actress.’ “

[From People]

Financial independence is nice, and it's great that Salma is committed to making some pocket change compared to her husband's enormous wealth. Do you think that comment was directed at Linda Evangelista? I think it was. I think that's Salma giving Linda the side-eye and muttering, "You should be able to support your own child, bitch. Stop asking for $46,000 a month from my man."

But yes, I'm sure that Salma is Miss Independence. I'm sure if Francois Pinault was simply a humble fishmonger, Salma would still be married to him. And I'm sure that if Salma didn't have that face and those boobs, Francois would still have married her too.

wenn3541257

wenn5732542

Photos courtesy of WENN.

‘My Week with Marilyn’ trailer: does Michelle Williams pull it off?

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 08:02 AM PDT

mw4

I didn't hate this trailer for My Week With Marilyn, the new film (based on the book and the allegedly true story) starring Michelle Williams as Monroe. The movie looks interesting, but… I'm very wary of Michelle's performance now. The way the trailer has been cut, it's like they don't want to show us anything more than a second or two of Michelle's take on Marilyn. Is it because of Michelle's funky Marilyn voice? Because it already plucks my last nerve. Marilyn had a light, breathy voice that was so obviously a put-on, but it's surprisingly hard for most women to duplicate without sounding like a–holes. Here's the trailer:

I hate to say it, but to me, Michelle seems like the weak link. The film should fall on her shoulders, the film centers around her performance as Marilyn, and at the end of the day, I'm not sure Michelle has pulled it off. She's just not vivacious enough. Sidenote: Her little wiggle and hip-pop looked jerky. One of the best movie lines about Marilyn in motion was from Some Like It Hot: "Look how she moves! It’s like Jell-O on springs. Must have some sort of built-in motor or something."

As for the rest of the cast - Eddie Redmayne's face scares me. It's always scared me. His cheekbones are too high, and he has serial killer eyes (IMO). Judi Dench looks adorable, Emma Watson looks meh (bangs!), but for the love of God, Kenneth Branagh as Laurence Olivier never fails to make me giggle. Branagh has always thought he was the heir apparent to Olivier, he thinks he's the next Olivier, and to see him play Olivier… it's rough. The casting on this film is profoundly weird. But I do think the best/most interesting piece of casting was Dougray Scott as Arthur Miller. THAT is surprisingly good.

mw3

mw1

mw2

Photos courtesy of Vogue, header is a still from 'My Week With Marilyn'.

Drew Barrymore is ready to get married & have babies with Will Kopleman

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 07:26 AM PDT

51730pcn_chanel02

It's been a while since I've heard anything about Drew Barrymore and her boyfriend of…not even a year, it seems. They began dating early this year, like January/February. Since I hadn't heard anything, and since Drew is pretty flaky about men, I kind of thought they were probably already over. Not so much, according to Us Weekly. Their sources claim that Drew thinks Will is "the one" - the one to marry and have babies with, I guess. Will loves her too, and he's already ring-shopping.

Drew Barrymore wants Will Kopelman to put a ring on it! The actress — who turns 37 in February — “is yearning to get married and have kids,” a source tells Us Weekly.

The insider says that Kopelman, 34, has been thinking about rings, and could pop the question “around the one-year mark of their dating” this winter.

“He’s madly in love and knows she’s The One, but he just needs a bit more time.”

Still the art consultant understands he can’t wait that long. Adds the source, “If this were some twentysomething woman, there would be no rush.”

In fact, since Barrymore has babies on the brain, the insider adds, “I could see her getting pregnant before they get married!”

[From Us Weekly]

I could see her getting pregnant and never getting married again. I don't think Drew really cares about getting hitched at this point, but you never know. She's such a girly-girl, maybe she wants to do the wedding thing one more time. What would this be? Her third or fourth marriage? Edit: It would be her third.

As for Will… he seems much more "together" than the guys Drew usually goes for, and I like that he's not part of the Hollywood crowd, and he doesn't seem like a famewhore. That being said, the guy could possibly be a user. His family is wealthy, but Will's job title is "art consultant" - which I believe means that he just tells rich people which artworks to buy. He could just be looking for some wealthy woman who will support him. Or maybe he's a really nice guy. I don't know.

66982pcn_drew07

fp_6837838_barrymore_drew_lmk_07_21

wenn3228715

Photos courtesy of WENN, Fame and Pacific Coast News.

Seth MacFarlane on feud w/ Jon Stewart: ‘my publicist forbid me to talk about it’

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 07:12 AM PDT


“Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane was on Piers Morgan last night. I’m not a real “Family Guy” fan, but I recognize how gloriously obnoxious and funny it can be and I love how it pushes boundaries. There was a joke on “Family Guy” back during the Writers Guild strike of 2007-2008 making fun of Jon Stewart for continuing to produce shows instead of honoring the strike. (I can’t find that footage from “Family Guy,” so if any of you have seen it, please comment with a link!) After that happened, Jon Stewart personally called Seth MacFarlane up and bitched to him about it for an hour. On the show last night, Morgan questioned MacFarlane about this phone call with Stewart, and MacFarlane was all “how did you find out about this,” but he actually talked about it in a 2008 Time interview*. (I was ready to blame wiretapping.)

During the taping for tonight's Piers Morgan, the muckraking Brit sprang questions about a never-revealed war of war of words between guest Seth MacFarlane andThe Daily Show anchor Jon Stewart. According to Morgan's crack investigators, Stewart called the Family Guy creator up in 2008 after MacFarlane lampooned Stewart for continuing to air The Daily Show during the 2007 Writers Guild strike. MacFarlane described Stewart as "angry" and himself both "shocked" and "frustrated" during the hour-long the telephonic ambush. He explained, "I think [Jon's] response was 'Who the hell made you the moral arbiter of Hollywood?'"

When Morgan noted, "There's a certain irony in Jon Stewart ringing up and haranguing you for mocking him, isn't there?" MacFarlane responded, "If I say yes, he'll crucify me on his show for a year." MacFarlane, who admitted he was outmatched by Stewart's phenomenal debate skills, was surprised Morgan even knew about the altercation, saying, "My publicist has forbidden me to talk about this ever since it happened."

[From Entertainment Weekly]

Well MacFarlane did talk about this in 2008 as we mentioned, and after he told Time I bet that was when his publicist told him to can it.

I used to not get the appeal of this guy that so many of you adore, but now that I’ve seen him interviewed I get it. He has an infectious enthusiasm, and he’s open, funny and smart. I like what how he explained his position on this to Morgan. “In that situation I think it is incumbent on people in a certain position to stand up for the people who haven’t made it yet, if that can, if it’s low risk.

“My argument is that you’re the most successful guy on that network and arguably the most successful television personality in the genre…. He was not pleased. I think his response was, ‘who the hell made you the moral arbiter of Hollywood.’”

I really like Stewart’s humor and politics, and I get the urge to continue to put out shows during a long strike, but MacFarlane made a very good argument here. He also stood up for the union during the strike. Here’s a link to a video of him speaking at a WGA event in 2007. He said “A novelist receives fair royalties for their books, a musician receives fair royalties for their songs, screenwriters deserve fair royalties for their work.”

*Thanks to VideoGum for a lot of the background links!

wenn2662221

wenn3522431

wenn2662261

wenn3522433

Jennifer Aniston on babies: “If it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be”

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 07:00 AM PDT

aniston2

True and funny story: People Magazine's online excerpt of this Jennifer Aniston Elle Mag profile was tagged "Naomi Watts" at first. I guess because the photo looks kind of like Naomi? Jennifer was profiled for Elle Magazine's "Women In Hollywood" annual issue. I feel like Jennifer was just on the cover of Elle - the editors over there love her and put her on at least one cover a year. As for the cover shot… I don't have any strong opinions about it one way or the other. The skirt is fug and Jennifer's hair is in her face too much, but it's a more interesting photo than just a typical smiley head shot. Enough about the photo, though. Because Aniston is talking 'bout babies (and no, she's not confirming or denying that OK! Mag story). Here are the two quotes that Elle has released:

On the baby rumors: "But it's not what you read. There's no desperation. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I'm at peace with whatever the plan is. But will you hate me if I say I don't want to talk about my relationship?"

On a time when she stood up to a male director: "I threw a chair at a director. It wasn't my proudest moment. He was treating a script supervisor horribly… When the director walked in, I threw a chair at him. I missed, of course. I was like, ‘You can't speak to people like that.’ I can't tolerate it."

[From Elle]

On one side, I admire Aniston's laissez faire attitude about babies, especially in the face of a decade and a half of wild speculation about her womb (even though some of the womb speculation was self-inflicted by Aniston). On the other side, the attitude of "There's no desperation. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be" seems strangely aloof for such an important decision in a person's life. I mean, it's whether or not you become a parent, not whether or not you should order Chinese food. Shouldn't you have strong feelings about it? Shouldn't you accept some responsibility in the decision-making process instead of throwing your lot to the Fates?

Aniston's decision-making process, also known as her publicist, does involve Justin Theroux for the foreseeable future. People Magazine ran a very "cute" story about Justin and Jennifer in Washington, D.C.:

At least one thing is working right in Washington, D.C.: Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux’s hot new romance The new couple got cozy over dinner Monday night at Fiola, a restaurant on Pennsylvania Avenue, where the pair were “very, very cute together,” a source tells PEOPLE.

And Jen and Justin were not alone. They were joined for the meal by a Lifetime executive, as well as Jeanne Tripplehorn and Patricia Clarkson, all of whom were involved with the TV channel’s film anthology, Five (premiering Oct. 10), for which Aniston directed one of the segments.

Calling Aniston, 42, and Theroux, 40, “very cutesy,” the witness also says, “They were paying attention to each other. They ate the same thing.”

Their dinner order? A salad, plus the tagliatelle with Alba white truffle, a $65 pasta entrée. For dessert, they ordered the bonboloni pastry made with ricotta cheese.

“They loved those,” says the source, who was “surprised – in a good way – they would eat all that.”

As for the dinner party, which went on until about 11 p.m., “They had a great time, all of them. They were laughing. It was like a group of friends,” says the source.

But most eyes in the place were focused on Jen and Justin, who had been “talking and smiling to each other, like any couple would do,” says the source.

[From People]

Ugh, I hate cheesy desserts. I'm not a cheese person, though. I prefer desserts with chocolate or some kind of ice cream. But you did get the "cute" memo, right? Jennifer and Justin are "cute" now. "Cute" is the new "hugging him from behind." I do wonder what Justin is feeling right now - where’s his hipster cred? He’s no longer hardcore. He no longer gets to front like he’s 1970s-Al-Pacino-cool. He’s just “cute”. Almost sexless, right?

Speaking of Justin’s transformation, Life & Style (via Jezebel) has a story about how Jennifer gave Justin a makeover. Even though Aniston "fell for him right away" (last year, when he was with Heidi, I'm assuming), she still felt "he needed some fixing up.” She made him get a haircut, shave his beard, and get a spray tan. An acquaintance of Justin's tells L&S: “He used to be kind of negative, just critical and down on life. Now he’s totally positive. Than God he met Jennifer!” WTF? Spray tans = positive energy?

fp_7968208_aniston_jennifer_wik_10_23

fp_7948589_aniston_theroux_aar_05_06

fp_7951535_aniston_jennifer_aar_07_08

Photos courtesy of Elle, Fame.

Did Blake Lively dump Leo DiCaprio because she wasn’t ready to commit? LOL

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 06:59 AM PDT

wenn3347255

Two days ago, the world stopped turning when super-fancy dream couple from heaven Blake Lively and Leonardo DiCaprio stopped being each other's official pieces. Personally, I was surprised. I thought for sure that Blake would be able to make the relationship work for months longer, at least through the awards season. My immediate reaction was to assume that Leo did the dumping, just because… he's Leo. He's like George Clooney in that way. Men like Clooney and DiCaprio date specific kinds of women, and when Clooney and DiCaprio are done with those relationships, they're done, and they do the dumping. It never occurred to me that Blake was the one who broke up with Leo. But this new, hilarious report from Us Weekly claims that it was Leo who wanted a commitment from Blake, and she was all, "I'm all about fun, you're such a buzzkill." Only better:

They’ll always have Monte Carlo. And Sydney. And Disneyland. After reps for both Blake Lively and Leonardo DiCaprio confirmed their breakup exclusively to Us Weekly on Tuesday, many are wondering what exactly went wrong between the Gossip Girl actress, 24, and the Oscar nominee, 36, after such a hot and heavy courtship.

“Blake wasn’t ready to move to the next level,” an insider tells the new Us Weekly, out now.

After meeting last November and kicking off their globe-trotting romance in May of this year, “It was just too much, too quickly,” the insider explains. “Blake wasn’t ready to settle down.”

But, J. Edgar actor DiCaprio is looking ahead to the next phase of his life, the source says. “He’s looking for someone to eventually start a family with…That’s not where she’s at. She’s only 24!”

Adds another source: “He’s more mature. They’re not in the same place right now.”

For more on the abrupt end of their fairy tale romance — who might rebound first and whether they could reunite — pick up the new Us Weekly, on stands Friday.

[From Us Weekly]

The insider, who goes by the name "Lake Bively" then whispered into the phone, "I mean, he offered me a ring! He said he was going to marry me. BUT I SAID NO. I said, my dear Romeo, I just can't do it. I need to party and be free and… oh, that's Ben Affleck on the other line…" So, this didn't happen.

Still, even though I think Leo probably did the dumping, I don't think Blake is weeping into her pillow. She's got some plan of action, I'm sure. The girl's hustle is one of the best in Young Hollywood. What's her next move? Ryan Reynolds? Back to the Gosdong? Or perhaps some kind of play to win Leo back?

PS… just one day after Blake and Leo announce that they've called it quits, Blake's ex, Penn Badgley, makes his public debut with Zoe Kravitz. There's a photo of Zoe and Penn holding hands here. Do you think the Fassbender is weeping tonight? Doubtful. But I’m pretty sure this candid photo-op was meant as a “screw you” to Blake.

UPDATE: Page Six has this today:

Having torn herself from the arms of new love Ryan Reynolds, with whom she spent a romantic weekend in Boston, Blake Lively was beaming as she dined with others from the "Gossip Girl" cast at Midtown's Fresco by Scotto on Tuesday night. A fellow diner said Lively, clearly not breaking her stride after her split with Leo DiCaprio, "casually strolled in solo, and seemed relaxed and enjoying herself as she dined with some of the 'Gossip Girl' cast."

[From Page Six]

Ryan Reynolds is officially her “new love” eh? Interesting.

wenn3489892

wenn5431701

wenn3488528

Photos courtesy of WENN.

Steve Jobs has died at 56

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 06:27 AM PDT

stevejobs1
This news has me really choked up. I know Steve Jobs as the billionaire founder of Apple, but once I started reading the tributes to him, I started to understand how he was so much more to so many of us. Jobs passed away yesterday at the age 56 after seven year battle with pancreatic cancer. He had just resigned as CEO of Apple a month ago. He leaves behind a wife and four children, along with a incredible legacy of forever changing the way we are entertained and connected to each other.

Of all the articles I read about Jobs’ passing, I liked this one the most. I never realized how instrumental he was in starting Pixar, which has transformed the movie industry and produced some of the best children’s films of all time.

Apple founder, former Pixar chief and Disney Board of Directors member Steve Jobs passed away on Wednesday, with Disney CEO Bob Iger releasing a statement soon after his passing:

“Steve Jobs was a great friend as well as a trusted advisor. His legacy will extend far beyond the products he created or the businesses he built. It will be the millions of people he inspired, the lives he changed, and the culture he defined. Steve was such an ‘original,’ with a thoroughly creative, imaginative mind that defined an era. Despite all he accomplished, it feels like he was just getting started. With his passing the world has lost a rare original, Disney has lost a member of our family, and I have lost a great friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Laurene and his children during this difficult time.”

Jobs’ affiliation with Disney comes from his remarkable stewardship of Pixar. In 1986, Jobs bought The Graphics Group, the computer graphics division of Lucasfilm that was spun off on its own. He soon changed the company’s course from hardware producer to animation studio, setting the newly renamed Pixar on course to remake animation history. He was the CEO from the beginning of his run there, and the Chairman of the Board starting in 1991, as well.

After running through a number of short films throughout the 80s and early 90s, the studio released its first game changing animated feature, “Toy Story.” Gorgeously computer animated, it was a runaway hit, spawning not only a franchise — it’s up to three features and multiple short spinoffs — but an animation empire that has won Oscar after Oscar. Now, nearly every successful animated film utilizes computer graphics, with blockbusters such as the “Shrek” series following in Pixar’s foot steps.

In fact, 14 out of the top 15 animated films, in terms of domestic box office earnings, are CGI-based.

Disney bought Pixar outright in 2006, making Jobs a member of the Board of Directors and the company’s largest single shareholder.

“As we approached the end of our relationship with Disney and we looked at our future, we were at a fork in the road,” he said when Disney bought the innovative studio. “Disney is the only company with animation in their DNA.”

Director Steven Spielberg added a statement about the passing, saying, “Steve Jobs was the greatest inventor since Thomas Edison. He put the world at our fingertips.”

His contributions, of course, are even more impressive in the field of how we consume media. The news of Jobs’ passing spread instantly thanks in large part to smart phones, the most popular of which being the iPhone. A sweet irony for the innovative legend, whose vision pushed technology and communications forward in leaps and bounds over the past thirty years.

When those phones finish texting, tweeting and calling with the news, they’ll go back to their other, groundbreaking uses: playing music, streaming podcasts and watching TV shows and movies. In short, Jobs helped reshape the way we take in entertainment, creating a mobile audience that forced entertainment executives to entirely rethink their production and distribution strategies.

[From Huffington Post]

That last paragraph summed it all up for me. I love my iPad and my iPod and although I still use a PC for computing I’m so close to switching to a Mac. The iPad is something that I can’t imagine living without, and I’ve had mine for less than a year. This man changed our lives.

Apple has put up a tribute to Jobs on their website. Like everything else this company does, it’s deceptively simple, to-the-point, and so powerful. Thank you, Mr. Jobs, for all you’ve given us.

wenn3486095
Paxar’s Edwin Catmull (Then Executive VP, CTO, current President), Steve Jobs (Then Chairman and CEO) and John Lasseter (Then VP, Creative, now C0O) in a 2005 promotional photo. Credit: WENN.com

stevejobs2

The Olsen Twins’ $39,000 fug alligator backpack sells out

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 06:25 AM PDT

wenn3541966
Ashley Olsen carrying the $39k backpack in March

It was back in 2007 that we saw what could have been the ugliest, most expensive bag in history, except of course there are uglier and even more expensive bags. It was this Louis Vuitton monstrosity, the “patchwork bag,” and it was so fug that I thought it was a joke at first. It’s a real bag produced in limited edition and it cost a whopping $45,352 for this monstrosity that looks like the result of an ogre eating several overpriced bags and puking them up as one congealed solid. You know who carried one? Beyonce. I hope they comped her this bag.

The $45,000 Louis Vuitton patchwork bag:
louis-vuitton-tribute-patchwork-bag-1

Well the Olsen Twins have a backpack as part of their fashion line that’s rather tame-looking in comparison, but almost as expensive as this. It’s this crocodile looking thing that Ashley Olsen is carrying in the photo above while she’s trying to hide her face. It’s like something your mom would carry that’s both utilitarian and only moderately stylish. I mean the skin looks fierce, but I would feel awful wearing it. Alligator skin strikes me as not as bad as fur (which the Olsens use liberally in their lines) but worse than leather. (I don’t know much about any of that, though, and it’s not like PETA is going to enlighten me.)

olsenbackpack

This backpack, with a price tag that costs way more than my car, is sold out at Barney’s. Maybe they only had five of them anyway. Here’s more:

What recession? A $39,000 backpack designed by the Olsen twins’ designer brand The Row is selling out.

Former child actress turned high-end fashion designer Ashley Olsen told Women’s Wear Daily that The Row was scrambling to keep up with demand for the luxury car-priced accessory.

“It was the first thing that sold off the shelf,” she said.

Barneys New York began carrying the crocodile-skin [sic: it's alligator] bags in July, in an effort to compete with other ludicrously-priced handbags.

Now, it seems the gamble has paid off.

Amanda Brooks, the fashion director for Barneys New York, told Fashionista this summer that the line of super-pricy bags was a surefire attempt appeal to a younger crowd.

“Obviously we don’t carry Hermes bags in the store so we were trying to find something that appeals to that customer who is willing to spend a lot of money on a bag that’s going to last a long time and has a classic design,” she said.

Brooks also touted another benefit to the bag.

“You also might be the only one who has it,” she said.

Not if the bag keeps flying off the shelves, you won’t.

[From The NY Daily News via ONTD]

Note that Women’s Wear Daily calls the backpack “alligator” while The NY Daily News is calling it “crocodile.” It’s alligator, according to their website. Anyone who wants to carry an insanely overpriced bag designed by the little urchins who used to be child actresses and have the style sense of an elderly nursing home resident off her meds, can rest assured. There are plenty of bags left from their line The Row at Barneys and on their website. Prices start at $3,700. You can nab some sunglasses for a relative bargain at $410. Like this lovely example:

olsenglasses

wenn3541969

wenn3381064

wenn3381065

Photo credit: WENN.com

Evan Rachel Wood in leather Gucci: overworked or totally chic?

Posted: 06 Oct 2011 06:20 AM PDT

the_ides_of_march_004_wenn5734067

These are some new photos from last night's NYC premiere of The Ides of March. For whatever reason, Ryan Gosling wasn't there. Neither was George Clooney's official girlfriend Stacy Keibler. Coincidence?!? Are the Gosling and the Keibler off somewhere, laughing about poor, sad Clooney? Probably not. Anyway, Clooney looked nice. Whatever, talking about dudes' fashion is usually pretty boring. I will say this, though - I LOVE the navy background that they've been using for the 'Ides' premieres. Everybody looks so sharp and awesome against that navy background. Anyway…

Evan Rachel Wood made the biggest impact, style-wise, last night. Her leather dress is Gucci. I don't know who did the hat. Thoughts? I… don't like it. I think I understand the look ERW is trying to achieve - like, a modernized version of some kind of mid-to-late-1970s Annie Hall-inspired boho, right? Tailored but fluid, vintagey but new. I think the dress would be more interesting without the neck bustle/bow, and I think the look in total might be better served without the hat. Plus, Evan's makeup is WAY overdone. Much too much, especially for someone so young and fresh.

ides_of_march_108_wenn3546657

ides_of_march_premiere_19_wenn5734192

ides_of_march_premiere_14_wenn5734187

Marisa Tomei in navy (I don't have the designer ID). I like her dress a lot, and I really like it on her. Her style has been faltering throughout this publicity tour, but this looks really great on her.

ides_of_march_premiere_07_wenn5734180

And here's just a touch of Philip Seymour Hoffman. That's his baby-mama/girlfriend Mimi.

wenn3546647

Photos courtesy of WENN.

No comments:

Post a Comment