Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Young, Black, and Fabulous

The Young, Black, and Fabulous


NEWS: Man ACCUSED Of ATTACKING Adrian Peterson's "Secret" Son Had Long HISTORY Of Domestic Violence

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 08:30 AM PDT

 photo adrianpetersonddd.png

More information has surfaced about 27-year-old Joseph Robert Patterson, the man accused of aggravated assault in the death of Adrian Peterson's two-year-old son. More inside...

 

Now that's we've learned more about Joseph Robert Patterson, the 27-year-old man accused of attacking the son of Adrian Peterson, it's clear that the man should never have been on the streets in the first place.

On Friday, Joseph was charged with felony counts of aggravated assault and aggravated assault on an infant and is being held in Minnehaha County Jail, South Dakota on $750,000 cash bond.  He is scheduled to appear in court on October 23 but a grand jury indictment is expected before then.

Now that he's FINALLY behind bars, Joseph's past history of domestic violence is rearing its head. Thomas Wollman, South Dakota State’s Attorney, filed motions on Friday ordering Joseph to serve two year-long sentences that had been suspended on prior domestic assault charges.

First, a woman requested a protection order against him in 2004. Then in 2012, he had pleaded guilty to simple assault in an incident involving an ex-girlfriend and her three-year-old son. In that case, he beat and choked her and left severe bruises on the child.  So....how did he score a get-out-of-jail-free card?  A judge ordered him to undergo family violence training and he was allowed to stay out of jail.  Sadly...it didn't work.  

Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson tweeted his fans and followers recently, thanking them for their support and saying that he will not be posting pictures of the child who passed away.  There were conflicting reports that identified his two-year-old son Adrian Peterson Jr. as the deceased child and Adrian addressed that as well.   

 photo aptweets.png

 

Last night, family, friends and well-wishers gathered in Sertoma Park in Sioux Falls, S.D., for a candlelight vigil in memory of Adrian's 2-year-old son.

 

 

 

 

Photos via Getty/Joseph Robert Patterson Facebook

MOVIE FAB: Lee Daniels PLANNING A INTERRACIAL "Love Affair" Action Film

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 06:09 AM PDT

 photo LeeDanielsButlerPremiere39thDeauvillemi0FtdpRA6Ll.jpg

Now that he's made $100 million with The Butler, Lee Daniels is setting he sights on making an action film like none other! Get the deets on his upcoming project and the shocking revelation movie goers won't find out until the end (warning:  SPOILER ALERT) inside...

 

Director Lee Daniels, who'll be honored with Outfest's Visionary Award for his contribution to LGBT arts and media visibility on Nov. 21, recently told OUT about his plans to make a “interracial love affair action movie” starring a gay couple.

He told the magazine that his next film will feature a gay action hero, played by Alex Pettyfer (who starred in The Butler). Described as "a gay 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith", he joked that "we don't find out they're gay until the end of the movie."

Though he has one-half of the casting done, he's still on the quest for a hot black guy.

“Alex Pettyfer is in it, [but] I have to find the right black guy opposite him. He’s so hot, isn’t he? So hot. And so aware of his hotness in a way that’s so…I love him to death.”

Does Lee think he'll have a hard time getting this film made? Not really. He said,  “I don’t think I’m going to have a problem now. I made a $100 million for The Butler. I’m in a rare group. So this is something I feel good about."

Lee will take a few moments away from the new action film to accept this year's Visionary Award at the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Los Angeles. He told THR,

"I am extremely flattered and humbled to be receiving this year's Visionary Award. Outfest is an extraordinary organization, and I cannot stress enough the importance of its mission. In both my professional and personal life, I constantly strive to represent and provide a voice for the LGBT community, and I am so honored that the Legacy Awards have selected me as this year's recipient."

 

Congrats to Lee.  Ummmm....any casting suggestions?

 

 

 

Photo via Getty

FLIRTY GIRLS: Meeka Claxton, Jennifer Williams & Mashonda Go POLE DANCING With Pynk Magazine, Chat Up TheYBF.com About "Ho*s Ruining BBW", New Men & More

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 05:22 AM PDT

 photo IMG_4542.jpg

Former "BBW" stars Jennifer Williams and lifestyle expert Mashonda chatted it up with TheYBF.com while twerking and learning how to work the pole in NYC.  See what the ladies said about Chad and Evelyn, "BBW" and more inside....

 photo IMG_4375_zpsa2c95ef5.jpg

 photo IMG_4523.jpg

BFFs Jennifer Williams and Mashonda worked on their "pole fitness" during a fun outing with the friends and the folks from PYNK Magazine at La Femme Suite in Harlem.  

 photo IMG_4552.jpg

TheYBF.com was there for all the action as the ladies let their hair down and learned how to work the pole...."Pour It Up" style.  

 photo IMG_4518.jpg

 photo IMG_4510.jpg

TheYBF.com spoke to VIBE VIXEN lifestyle contributor Mashonda about her upcoming projects and she gave us the deets on her new website Lifestyleher.  

"It’s a world for women, a place where women can come and feel empowered and find out about fashion, inspiration, travel and healing from pain. It launches in January 2014. I have been working on it since November 2012. I always wanted to do something with travel and food. I l love home décor, music and want to combine all that......but wanted the site to be catered to women.  That’s how I came up with LifestyleHer."

We also asked her how she healed after her painful divorce from Swizz Beatz.  She said,

 "For me, you know for me, heartbreak, when it first happens at first you’re really disheveled. But when you step back, sit down and take time for yourself, you have to, you have to take time out to just heal. You don’t want to talk to too many people because you don’t want them to cloud what’s already clouded. Just be still and listen to God. You’ll get all the answers if you just be still and listen."

 photo IMG_4424.jpg  

We also got the fab chick to talk to us about her current love life. 

"I mean there’s one person and he’s more than just that, he’s more like a mentor you know....a friend. A go to for everything so yeah.

She added....

You know that’s definitely not a priority right now cause men have a way of throwing you off your focus. It is what it is for the moment. If it grows, it grows, if it doesn’t that’s fine you know. It’s just about for me right now it’s about getting out there, meeting people and just living it in the moment."

 

 photo IMG_4396.jpg

Mashonda's bestie, Jennifer Williams, REALLY let her hair down.  Mashonda even asked her if she popped a Molly.  Jen joked,

"I’m fun. I like to have a good time! It’s funny because Mashonda came up to me, she was like are you on a Molly? I’m like no! I’m like why you say that, she’s like I’ve never seen you like this. I’m like I love pole dancing I think it’s so fun. When I’m around a pole I’m like yes! It’s so fun. It builds your self-esteem. You can just let go, you know it’s like all women around. It’s just fun. My thing is life I so short you just have to make the best of it. Like where ever I’m at I try to make the best of it. I work really hard to play really hard. I’m just out here having a good time. I’ve had so many burdens on me and a lot of those have been lifted and I’m just like this free spirit and my mottos like, I’ll try anything once. So I’m just like let it all go, let it hang out, have some fun."

 photo IMG_4419-1.jpg   

While telling us about the reality show she's shooting with Mona Scott Young, Jen also told us about her new boo Cisco

"I have a boyfriend. We go through our ups and downs. Just like any relationship. One day I’m like oh I hate him. The next day I’m like I love him. I don’t know. Honestly I’m in a place where I feel like I was so dependent on my ex that I feel like I need to get me in order until I can 100% give myself to someone else. So I’m just really trying to focus o me, be a better person and I’m really career driven and that’s my focus and everything second. That’s what it is right now. I’m like Zen Jen right now. I was so stressed out last season of basketball wives. It was very stressful. I was drinking a lot and I Just was not in a happy place."

We also asked her about her thoughts on Evelyn and Chad (and Chad posting a pic of himself kissing her through the tv screen). She said,

"I have no comment about any of that. I’m like do whatever floats your boat. If them being together what it is that’s great but they don’t influence my life in any way shape or form...I would have never been in that situation so it’s irrelevant. I don’t think about Evelyn, I don’t think about Chad. It’s not my life, not my concern. I wish them the best in whatever they do. Whether it’s together or separately."

 photo IMG_4502.jpg

We also caught up with former "BBW" star Meeka Claxton and asked her about comments Laura Govan made about Shaunie O'Neal ruining the show with "hoes" and its lack of real "wives."  She said, "It’s the truth. Besides Jennifer and myself there wasn’t any. I’m rich. She definitely wasn’t talking about me. My man got a championship ring. She definitely wasn’t talking about us. I got the ring. The wives ring. I agree with her. I felt it wasn’t a true representation of the lifestyle."

Oh.......

Photos via Shirley Vernae

EVENT FAB: Gabrielle Union, Iman, June Ambrose & More Hit The ESSENCE Upfront

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 06:08 PM PDT

 photo BeatyPanelFZ2A7610.jpg

ESSENCE Magazine hosted their first ever UPFRONT in NYC yesterday with appearances from Marsha Ambrosius, Viola Davis, actress Gabrielle Union and legendary supermodel Iman. See the pics inside...

 photo VanessaBushandViolaDavisFZ2A7778.jpg

Yesterday, ESSENCE Magazine hosted that first ever UPFRONT in New York City. The full day included a special performance by Grammy-nominated singer Marsha Ambrosius and appearances from Oscar-nominated actress Viola Davis (shown above with ESSENCE Editor-in-Chief Vanessa K. Bush) and actress Gabrielle Union, fashion activist Bethann Hardison, ESSENCE Editor-at-Large Mikki Taylor, legendary supermodel Iman and Afrobella.com Founder Patrice Yursik (shown atop).  

During the UPFRONT, the magazine revealed one of the major features of the 20th anniversary of Essence Fest is "The Vault" which will look back on previous years of the festivals with photo galleries, video clips, reader submitter photos, celebrity memories and more in a special anniversary section on Essencefestival.com.  It will also include original talent and line-up posters, concert photos, and interviews. The Vault will also be a feature on the revamped Essence Fest app.

 photo michelleandgabbyFZ2A7636.jpg

ESSENCE President Michelle Ebanks posed with "Being Mary Jane" star Gabrielle Union.

 photo Marsha_Ambrosius-5.jpg

Marsha Ambrosius entertained the audience with a medley of her hits including "Yes" and "Butterflies".

 photo june_ambrose-11.jpg

Celebrity stylist June Ambrose added some style and flair to the walk and repeat.

 photo June_Ambrose-25.jpg

Essence.com Fashion Editor Celia Smith, celebrity stylist June Ambrose and ESSENCE Editor-at-Large Mikki Taylor and posed together.

 photo Danai_Gurira-10.jpg

Danai Gurira, star of "The Walking Dead" looked fab in a blue and green printed dress from Clover Canyon’s Resort 2014 Collection.
 

 

 

 

Photos via Michael Rowe/ESSENCE/Diego Corredor/Picture Group

Ashanti Debuts New Hair Cut At Surprise Birthday Party + On The "SVU" Set

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 03:42 PM PDT

 photo ScreenShot2013-10-11at45909PM_zpsb171026d.png

Ashanti turns 33 on Sunday.  So her litte sister Shia threw a big surprise party for her last night at NYC's SL (Simyone Lounge) nightspot.  Check out the fab chick showing off her hot new look inside...

 

She never disappoints in the fab department.  Ashanti flaunted her sex bob and sexy bod at her surprise party last night as she rcked a black & gold strapless dress as she posed it up with her little sis.  We're loving this new look.

Shia tweeted the above pic saying, "We got her Again! Happy Early Birthday celebration to my Big Sister!! I love you!"  Awww how sweet.

 photo ScreenShot2013-10-11at45815PM_zps098656cb.png

DJ Suss One was there to work the party and, of course, her momanager Tina was there too.

 photo BWTsox9IcAA1AkIjpg_large_zps69581fcd.jpg   photo BWRqdxIIUAACPtXjpg_large_zps6e90d827.jpg

Hot.

 

Before the party, Ashanti showed off her new look at a photoshoot::

 photo 3b45bc9c31b511e3ac8422000a1fbf16_8_zps114cb5c1.jpg  photo c782b1ee31b311e3a99422000ab5c192_8_zps4cc59d91.jpg

And by the way, she and her new bob will be appearing on an upcoming episode of "Law & Order: SVU" alongside "Idol" alums Taylor Hicks & Clay Aiken:

 photo BWKsJdVCIAATEPAjpg_large_zpsc1cfb59e.jpg

They were spotted posing it up on the set.

And the party keeps going as Ashanti rolls into Vegas tomorrow night for her big birthday bash at Lavo.

 

Photos: Liltuneshi's IG, PrettyNae's Twitter/@BeauYoungPrince twitter/@TaylorHicks Twitter

BREAKING: Adrian Peterson's 2-Year-Old Son Dies After Brutal Attack

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 03:18 PM PDT

 photo adrianpeterson_zps4536c698.jpg

The story of the horrible attack on NFLer Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has taken a fatal turn.  Police have confirmed the boy has died from his injuries...

According to USA Today, Adrian Peterson's son has been removed from the ventilator and has died. 

Reports state that Adrian's 2-year-old son was on life support after emergency responders found him unresponsive at his mother's boyfriend's Sioux Falls home.  The mother's 27-year-old boyfriend Joseph Patterson has been charged with aggravated assault and aggravated battery of an infant.  And these charges will likely escalate to murder.

And apparently, this was not Patterson's first issue with domestic violence.  The report states:

Patterson has a prior domestic abuse record with a different woman and child, having pleaded guilty to simple assault in an incident last year involving an adult female and juvenile male.

Other reports state that the mother, who declined to comment today, plans to donate the infant's organs to people in need.

Adrian headed back to the Vikings facility and gave a press conference today asking for privacy, just hours before his son died.  He says he will indeed play on Sunday. 

There have also been other reports regarding Adrian's relationship with this particular son and him allegedly having just recently found out the son was his.

 

The Randomness:

1. Kendrick Perkins of the OKC Thunder has been arrested for allegedly punching a woman in the face.  STORY

 

Photo: Forbes

YBF FRESH FACE: Meet "12 Years A Slave" Star Lupita Nyong'o

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 01:07 PM PDT

 photo LupitaNyongoArrivalsNYFFPremieres0kZ7ozNkHJUl.jpg

She's stunning, she's smart, she's talented.  And pretty freakin' fabulous.  Actress Lupita Nyong'o, who makes her film debut in 12 Years Of Slave, is generating Oscar buzz all over Hollywood. Meet Lupita inside...

Since we love a fresh YBF face on the scene....

Yale School of Drama graduate Lupita Nyong'o makes her film debut in 12 Years Of Slave (in theaters 10/18) and is an upcoming actress who's taken Hollywood by storm.

Born in Mexico and raised in Kenya by an influential family (her father is a professor at the University of Nairobi & FORBES named her cousin as one of Africa's most powerful women in 2012), Lupita starred in the Kenyan television series Shuga (2008) and wrote, directed, and produced the documentary In My Genes (2009) before setting her sights on Hollywood.

 photo LupitaNyongoArrivalsNYFFPremieresNqR56pgyYc0l.jpg

She has a few editor, director and producer credits to her name thanks to creating a video documentary or two on her own.  And now that this 30-year-old gorgeous gal has landed her first big screen role, Hollywood execs (and award show committees) have taken notice.

The Hollywood Reporter recently revealed that Lupita will receive the prestigious New Hollywood Award at the 17th annual Hollywood Film Awards on Oct. 21. She'll be in good company as Robert Pattinson, Gabourey Sidibe and Quvenzhane Wallis have all received the award.

Film director Steve McQueen noted that 1,000 hopefuls audition for Lupita's role in 12 Years A Slave and "It was like finding Scarlett O'Hara."  Next up for Lupita, she'll star opposite big screen vet Liam Neeson in Non-Stop.

In the photo above, Lupita (in a blue Roland Mouret cocktail dress and Kwiat jewelry) posed with director Steve McQueen, actress Sarah Paulson, actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, actress Alfre Woodard, and actor Paul Dano at the premiere of the movie during the 51st New York Film Festival at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center this week.

Watch the trailer for 12 Years A Slave below.  And keep an eye out for Ms. Lupita....

And check out Lupita and co-star Chiwetel on "The View" recently as well:

 

 

Photos via Getty

Adrian Peterson Speaks: "I Would Like Privacy...And I'm Playing on Sunday"

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 12:28 PM PDT

 photo BWUKEWBCcAA-fuMjpg_large_zps4330fc97.jpg

Adrian Peterson has spoken out for the first time since news broke about the brutal attack of one of his 2-year-old sons.  What the Minnesota Viking RB has to say about the tragic situation inside...

With his infant son now in serious condition at a hospital in Sioux Falls due to injuries consistent with horrible abuse, Adrian spoke to the media this afternoon as he's now back at the Vikings training facility after traveling to Sioux Falls.

The NFL star told the press:

"This is a private matter and I'm going to ask y'all to please respect my privacy.  And not ask anything at all about the situation at hand."

And about playing on Sunday, he revealed:

"I will be playing Sunday.  I'm ready to roll, I'm focused.  Football is something I always fall back on and get me through tough times.  That's what I need in my life is God supporting me and going out to play this game I love.  The things I go through helps me play this game on a different level.  And I'm able to release my stress through the sport."

A 27-year-old man name Joseph Patterson, reportedly the child's mother's boyfriend, has been arrested for aggravated battery of an infant and aggravated assault.  Adrian's father has confirmed it is indeed one of Adrian's sons who is the victim, but it is not Adrian, Jr.

Patterson had a hearing today and is being held on $750,000 bond.

There are unconfirmed reports by CityPages that the child is not expected to survive the injuries.  The same site also alleges this child was one he had "in secret" with a woman he was involved with "casually".  And he only recently found out, via paternity test, this child was his.

Sad, sad news.

 

Photo: Fox 9, Source: ESPN

Ja Rule & Wife Aisha GET ALL KISSY At Christ The Redeemer Statue In Brazil

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 11:34 AM PDT

 photo spl629640_003_zpsdb2457ee.jpg

Awww even rappers get romantic sometimes.  Ja Rule, who is in Brazil for some gigs, visited the world-famous Christ the Redeemer statue with wife Aisha.  And the twosome weren't shy about taking some lovey dovey pics for their personal flick collection.

 

Peep the pics inside...

 photo spl629640_006_zps1c85584d.jpg

Gotta love a man who's still about his wife's ASSets 12 years later...

Ja and wife Aisha were spotted at tourist attractions around Rio de Janeiro.  And the cute couple snapped some kissy, huggy, ass grabbing pics.

 photo spl629640_015_zps91c62ed6.jpg  photo spl629640_005_zpsffc3a741.jpg

Looks like now that the "Fresh Out Da Pen" rapper is exactly that, he's more than enjoying his free life.  Good!

 

Photos: Splash

 

 

NEW MUSIC: Alicia Keys "Better Me, Better You"

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 10:37 AM PDT

 photo better-you-better-me.jpg

Alicia Keys has released "Better Me, Better You," a song from The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete soundtrack. Listen inside...

Alicia Keys has released "Better Me, Better You", a original song she composed for The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete, a film she executive produced.  

Directed by George Tillman, Jr., the film stars Jordin Sparks, Golden Globe and EMMY Award winner Jeffrey Wright, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Anthony Mackie, and Golden Globe and Academy Award winner Jennifer Hudson.

And the song is totally in Alicia's uplifting style of empowerment.  Check it out above.

The Codeblack film is in theaters now....

 

 

SPORTS NEWS: Chris Paul, Blake Griffin & DeAndre Jordan On "Jimmy Kimmel Live" + NFL PLayer Adrian Peterson's INFANT Son Allegedly ATTACKED By Baby Mama's Boyfriend

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 09:43 AM PDT

 photo ballersjjfss.png

 

LA Clippers Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! last night. Watch the video inside and get the shocking details about Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son being hospitalized after being horrifically attacked by his baby momma's boyfriend!

Yesterday, the stars of the LA Clippers--cutie Chris Paul, new daddy Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan (shown ariving with girlfriend Amber Alvarez)--were seen arriving for a taping of "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" where they talked about their upcoming season and revealed their new baby blue uniforms. 

 photo spl629595_003.jpg  photo wenn20753190.jpg  photo spl629589_004.jpg

 

Once they got on set, DeAndre sported a pair of leather pants and joked about two buffalo being used to make them.

 

 Watch the clips here:


 

In other sports news.....

 photo AdrianPetersonMinnesotaVikingsMediaAccessW6pArcgSLEjl.jpg

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson is dealing with a serious medical situation, involving his infant son, who's currently in critical condition at a South Dakota hospital.  Officials say the child was rushed to the hospital Wednesday afternoon after he was found unresponsive.  And it's now been reported the child was the victim of infant abuse.

Cops have now arrested 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, a man who's been dating the child's mother, and charged him with aggravated felony assault and battery of an infant.

Law enforcement told TMZ the child suffered severe head injuries.  Although TMZ initially identified the infant as Adrian's 2-year-old son, Adrian Peterson Jr., news outlets have now backed away from identifying the victim.  

Extremely sad!  We send out our prayers to Adrian and his family. This should serve as a cautionary tale for parents in regards to who they allow around their children.  Unfortunately, this tale happens entirely too often.

UPDATE: Adrian Peterson's father has confirmed his grandson is the victim, but it is not Adrian, Jr.  No word on the victim's name or age.  But he is indeed an infant.

The Randomness:

1.  Dwight Howard, who recently signed to the Houston Rockets, was spotted in the Philippines where he's been playing a couple of NBA exhibition games. Recently, the cameras caught him on his way to a karaoke club. We hope video of him crooning a few R&B tunes surfaces.....

 

 

Photos via Splash/WENN/Getty

No comments:

Post a Comment