Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Young, Black, and Fabulous

The Young, Black, and Fabulous


GLADIATOR CHIC: Kerry Washington SLAYS November 2013 Cover of ESSENCE

Posted: 02 Oct 2013 08:58 AM PDT

 photo kwessecov_zps6049905d.jpg

Kerry Washington is suited up in all gold for the new cover of ESSENCE Magazine, just in time for the Gladiators to turn up our "Scandal" Thursday nights! 

 

Check out the hot cover inside...

This.Chick.Is.Perfection.

Kerry Washington is golden hot on the November 2013 issue of ESSENCE magazine.  And it's all promo or her return to ABC this Thursday night for Season 3 of "Scandal".

The gorgeous newlywed talked about why her role as smarty pants Olivia Pope has more impact on America then we think.  Not only are we preaching to & convincing the masses how amazing black women CAN be, Kerry Washington, Shonda Rhimes and the entire cast is showing it every week through the role of "Olivia Pope."  And it's making everyone take notice in a way they never did before.

Kerry summed it up in her cover story saying:

“They are allowing an educated, intelligent, powerful, complicated, human, flawed, multidimensional Black woman into their homes. They’re not walking past her on the street, they’re not trying to avoid engaging her, they’re not ignoring her and pretending she’s somebody else’s family and somebody else’s problem…”

The Emmy-nominated fashionista (and all around fab chick) is helping to rake in 8.5 million self-professed Gladiators each week.  And that is MAJOR. 

Also in the mag, you find out in the Olivia vs. Kerry portion all the differences between Washington and the character she breathes life into each week.

ESSENCE’s November issue hits newsstands on October 10th.

NeNe's New Hair + Phaedra's Post (Or Pre?) Pregnancy Look Show Up At Peter Thomas' Birthday Party (Marlo, Toya Wright & The "RHOA" Cast Party It Up)

Posted: 02 Oct 2013 08:11 AM PDT

 photo peterteaserbday_zpsb87ae92b.jpg

NeNe's got some wiggery y'all.  And she debuted it last night at Peter Thomas' 53rd birthday party in Atlanta.  Check out Kenya Moore showing off her Bentley, and Peter partying with the "RHOA" cast and more....

Last night at Peter Thomas' Bar One restaurant, his wife Cynthia Bailey hosted his 53rd birthday.  And all his favorite "Housewives" came out to help him celebrate.

 photo pete5_zpseb2238ef.jpg  photo pete15_zpse7b282e3.jpg

We noticed NeNe Leakes' new wig that seemed inspired by Donald Trump.  Can't decide if we love it or not. 

  photo pete24_zps4ecc0e5b.jpg

She posed it up with her hubby 2x over Gregg and Toya Wirght and her husband Memphitz.

 photo pete25_zps47836ada.jpg  photo pete20_zps7e677cb3.jpg

Speaking of Toya, she kept it cute in her fave look-- a printed bodycon dress and a matching hot pink blazer and royal blue ankle strap heels.  Pretty as usual as she posed it up with Porsha Stewart and Kandi Burruss.

 photo pete3_zps201f1067.jpg  photo pete7_zps59dbc8f3.jpg

Toya also posed it up with her girls Marlo Hampton, who's been in all kinds of drama as NeNe's bridesmaid on "I Dream Of NeNe", and Kenya Moore.  Marlo's wearing Herve Leger Max Azria's printed two piece Beyonce rocked for SHAPE magazine.

 photo pete1_zps8135a506.jpg

Lookin' good Kenya!

 photo pete2_zpsc53e0abb.jpg

By the way, she made sure to be spotted driving her white Bentley up to the party.

 photo pete9_zps33e8758a.jpg

Phaedra wasn't feelin' the cameras watching her while she was grubbing down.

   photo pete16_zpsdd853a5e.jpg

But she posed it up with her hubby Apollo and birthday boy Peter....in a shirt we noticed she wore on a previous episode of "RHOA" when she was pregnant.

  photo pete12_zpsd750fc8f.jpg

She's carrying the champagne but we don't see her drinking it.  Another possible pregnancy?  Hmmm...

 photo pete6_zps29c64a3d.jpg

 

Oh, hey Apollo.

 photo pete11_zpse4dd1863.jpg

And Memphitz and Kandi's fiance Todd chilled at the party.  Hope their wedding goes off without a hitch.  Because from the looks of the previews of the upcoming season of "Housewives"....

 

The Randomness:

1.  Marc Jacobs is leaving as creative head of Louis Vuitton. STORY

 

Photos: Seven Photography/Toya's IG/Porsha's IG

 

TANGLED: Tyra Banks SUES Wigmakers For Jacking Her Name & Likeness + Jim Jones BUSTED For Driving Under The Influence

Posted: 02 Oct 2013 07:02 AM PDT

 photo tyrabanskdd.png

Tyra Banks is heading to court with a group of wigmakers who've been trying to jack her weave!  Get lawsuit deets inside and find out about Jim Jones' latest arrest.  

Mogul Tyra Banks put her Harvard Business degree to use and has filed a $10 Million lawsuit against a group of wig companies who've been trying to capitalize off of her image.

In the L.A. County lawsuit, Tyra accuses 10 wig companies of stealing her "name, photograph, image, and identity" to promote their products.  You know, the "Tyra bob" and "Tyra waves" and "Tyra dirty blonde" we've all seen the weavery companies advertise their bundles as.

She's seeking an injunction to stop the sale of items and wants $10 million for the abuse of her trademarks!  Get it...

 

In other legal woes......

 

 photo DSC_5883_zps297adffa.jpg

Rapper Jim Jones was busted in New York City for driving under the influence. According to TMZ, he was pulled over Wednesday morning (around 2 am ET) for speeding in his Chevy Impala.  After cops noticed his bloodshot eyes, he was taken from his vehicle where he later failed several sobriety tests and refused a breathalyzer.  He was booked for DUI (allegedly marijuana).

We're pleased no one was hurt.  Wonder why Chrissy wasn't his designated driver...

 

 

Photo via Tyra Banks Instagram/ATLPics.net

Idris Elba COVERS "ESQUIRE UK", Dishes On Hustling & James Bond + Vanessa Simmons & Daddy Rev. Run Talk About Her PREGNANCY

Posted: 01 Oct 2013 03:59 PM PDT

 photo idrisf.png

Actor Idris Elba covers the November 2013 issue of ESQUIRE UK where he talks about playing Mandela, and shares his thoughts on the 007 James Bond role.  See the highlights inside and find out what Rev. Run said about Vanessa Simmons' pregnancy.  

 photo article-0-186745E400000578-50_306x432.jpg

Inside the November issue of ESQUIRE UK, actor Idris Elba talks about stepping into the shoes of Nelson Mandela for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. He also addresses how fans reacted to him in the role and what the public says about him "possibly" playing James Bond. Here are the highlights:

His vibe:

‘Me! The way I live my life, I’m two drinks from being in the tabloids every day,’ he said. ‘I’m no national treasure. I’m a f***ing dutty rude boy!’

His old hustlin’ days:

‘You got to remember, I was hustling back then,’ he recalled. ‘And I mean huss-ell-ing. I was working the door at Carolines comedy club. Selling weed, 10 spots, everything, just to make money because the acting weren’t coming in fast enough.’

On the idea of playing James Bond:

‘If it f***ing happens, it’s the will of the nation. It’s not because of me. Everywhere I go people are saying, ‘You’d be a great Bond.’ And I want to ask them, ‘Are you saying that because it’s trendy or because you mean it?’ But you can tell by looking in their eyes they mean it!’

Living in Atlanta and London:

‘I have no base. I go from one job to another. As an actor, you have to sell out where you’re from because you’re playing other people. That’s why I DJ, because for one night, I’m me.’

Playing Mandela:

‘People are going to judge me for this role,’ he said. ‘I don’t look like Mandela, some say I don’t deserve it. Whatever. For me, it’s important I am who I am, as I present this piece to the world. I’m 40 and I’ve had a great career. I’m alright to be myself at this point. Look, if I never work again, I don’t care. I did my bit, you know?’

The first time people saw him in character:

‘We did our final checks, and then me and my troops walked in. ANC—boom! I had the haircut. Pa-pow! Young Mandela at his prime! I was f***ing nervous, because this was Soweto – that’s like someone playing Jay Z going into Brooklyn. But I’m telling you, man — people were crying. First take, I’m not even joking. First they were like, ‘It’s Idris Elba’. Then, ‘It’s Idris Elba playing Madiba’ (Mandela’s clan name).Then it’s like, ‘S**t—it’s Madiba!’ It was so layered.’

He won’t care about the reviews:

‘I got to tell you something, man, as arrogant as this might sound, I actually don’t care what the press think. Because as a memoir to Mr Mandela, this film is one of the greatest gifts I think we can give to the Mandela family.’

He thinks Prince Charles is gangster:

“I was saying about Prince Charles that he’s smooth, you know, he’s got the ring, the suit, the slick-back hair… he’s a gangster! But as soon as I said it, in my head I’m thinking, ‘Aaargh!’”

Watch BTS video here.

 

 photo idris11.jpg  photo idris21.jpg

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom hits theaters November 29th.

 

 

In other celebrity news....

 photo asimmsdd.png

We recently revealed the shocking news about Vanessa Simmons pending "out-of-wedlock" birth, and now, she's revealed what her dad, Rev. Run had to say.  To ESSENCE.com, Vanessa revealed, 

"There's this whole idea of first comes the marriage then the baby carriage so I was so nervous. But my dad was actually really excited because this is the first grandchild for my family.

I think somewhere deep inside he was kinda like, 'When am I going to experience that part of life?' Of course he wants us to get married, but for now he was like, 'We're gonna figure this out. Just be happy and have a healthy pregnancy. I'm behind you a hundred percent.'"

Here's what else Vanessa talked about:

On pregnancy cravings:
"Anything I see I want," she says before confessing her current Slurpee addiction. "Every time my mom calls me she asks, 'Where's Mike?' and I'm like, 'He's at 7-11,'" she says. "The cherry-flavored Slurpee is my weakness. So is the Jamba Juice Mango-a-go-go smoothie."

On baby names:
They thought they were having a boy so they collected names until a sonogram revealed it was a little girl. "Now I'm stumped thinking of little girl names," says the happy mom-to-be. "But I'm excited because little girl clothes are amazing and I'm the girliest girl ever!"

We're sure her pops is happy regardless about a grandbaby.  Read the full article here.

 

Photos via ESQUIRE/Vanessa Simmions Instagram

DELUSIONAL TALES: Iggy Azalea Accuses Miley Cyrus Of Stealing Twerking....FROM HER!

Posted: 01 Oct 2013 02:16 PM PDT

 photo iggy_azalea_cover_1_zps903b1ff2.jpg

We've stayed quiet as much as we could about Miley Cyrus' non twerking ass. Simply because we didn't think America was dumb enough to actually think this little girl created something new.

 

But now that her fellow blonde culture vulture Iggy Azalea has chimed in laying claim to "twerking", some ish must be said...

Industry chicks never cease to amaze us.  Iggy Azeala, the chick who started out with T.I.'s Grand Hustle label and truly thinks she's killin' it now that she's been appointed to open for Beyonce in Australia, has laid claim to twerking.

Not only did neither of these chicks invent a damn thing, but what they're doing is far from twerking. They're simply jolting their back...literally their BACK...and trying their damndest to catch a beat but cannot do so within 10 feet of their lives. They're trying mad hard, but don't....quite....get there.  You know, the typical story of culture vultures.

 photo iggy_azalea_2_zps8f73ccf4.jpg

This brings us to the latest delusion from the latest culture vulture blonde chick who's been so gassed up she actually thinks she has a talent. Australian model turned rapper turned model again, Iggy Azalea, believes Miley Cyrus stole twerking from her. Yep, she actually said this in her new interview with PAPER magazine.

“I’ve been doing that onstage for two-and-a-half years,” Azalea says of Cyrus’ recent forays into the ass-grinding dance craze.

“She probably fucking watched my videos online and decided to try it.”

And we're splitting hairs with the whole "But, I'm the first white girl who did it on stage" theory behind the statement that she very likely had.  A distinction with no difference.  No one can steal what was never yours. 

The article continues:

During Azalea's ass-happy song "Cheeks," she challenged her backup dancers to a twerk-off. Of course, every cellphone camera in the room captured the insanity, and the twerk heard 'round the world went viral. "People just wanna see my butt," Azalea says with a shrug. "We'd been doing that dance-off at the shows, but no one put it online. At the Bowery, they did."

Iggy, or whatever, I beg you to stick to your attempts at mimicking Tupac Shakur--since you said that's how you "learned to rap" back in Aussie land--and stop believing everything your hype people (and internet worshipers) are telling you. They're making you look more clueless than we already think you are.

Now, let's all carry on with the originator of twerking...at least in America...New Orleans' own DJ Jubilee. Yes, N.O. peeps created twerking as a variation of dances originating from African & Caribbean cultures. But twerking as we know it here in America....for all you late to the party folks like Iggy & Miley....is something we've been doing since the early 90's.

For those who aren't up to date on their music & dance history (like Miley & Iggy), school yourselves below:

5-0-4 Stand Up!

If you're interested, check out the full cover story here.

 

Photos: PAPER

STORY UNFOLDS: ENRAGED Deacon Reportedly Shot Louisiana Pastor....Because Of Alleged Relationship With Wife!

Posted: 01 Oct 2013 01:21 PM PDT

 photo knhpasrouhh.png

In reports you've likely already seen all over the net and news this week, Pastor Ronald J. Harris Sr. was gunned down by a former parishoner under some VERY suspicious circumstances last week. Now, find out the emerging details about the pastor and his alleged relationship with the gunman's wife inside....

Lake Charles, LA was rocked Friday evening after a murder in the pulpit.  Former deacon, Woodrow Karey Jr., walked into the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center and killed Pastor Ronald J. Harris Sr. by shooting him twice at point blank range.  All in the middle of a revival service.

Before you write this off as just complete random foolishness, the emerging backstory may shed some light on this horrible incident.

According to Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kim Myers, Woodrow shot Pastor Ronald twice (once at close range and again after the pastor was on the floor).  Woodrow later fled on foot before calling the Sheriff's office and turning himself in. As it stands now, he's been booked on a second-degree murder charge and his bond is set at $1 million.

Calcasieu Parish Sheriff Tony Mancuso told NBC News affiliate KPLC

"We’re trying to put all the pieces together. I’m sure we’re going to get responses from both sides, saying that they’re both great people and it’s my understanding that Pastor Harris and Mr. Karey were great friends at some point.  So, this makes it very difficult for us to get to the bottom of this if in fact people don’t come forth and tell us the truth. We’re in that process, it’s going to take a long time but that’s where we are in this investigation.”


Completely andom shootings like this rarely, if ever, happen inside the churches down south.  So this begs the question of whether the cause was one of personal nature.

Of course, we want to know what the "cause" was too.  Any good Southern Baptist knows that people of the curch will eventually talk.  And a lot of -ish has been discussed since Sunday....

Depending on where you look, you'll naturally find a few "different" perspectives on the Pastor. His daughter, Talisha Harris, told the Associated Press, "One question I do want to ask him (Woodrow) is why. My dad had a big heart. He'd help anybody."

Well....some of the good church folks are saying the Pastor had a big sexual appetite for the women folk.  Allegedly.

One source put it this way to a website reporting on the incident:

“He was sleeping with multiple women at the church parsonage, but he slept with the Deacon’s wife at the Woodrow’s house. This has been going on for a while, so it was only a matter of time before it came out. I Just didn’t think it would come out like this. If you get a man’s daughter pregnant and you sleeping with his wife – then I could see how this happened.”

Yes....you read that right. The "rumor" is the Pastor was also sleeping with the former Deacon's daughter. And she might be pregnant. But wait.....there's more.  

The deacon's wife filed a rape complaint against the Pastor!  And that's been proven.

The Associated Press revealed that Woodrow found some "inappropriate texts" on his wife's cellphone on Sept. 21, a few days before she filed the complaint and less than a week before the shooting. Cops plan to explore if their relationship was consensual. 

This is some big ol' church mess.....we'll keep you posted as details emerge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KeKe Palmer Rocks A Double Cover Of FUZION + Dishes On Her Live-In Boyfriend & What She Wants Chilli To Think Of Her Portrayal

Posted: 01 Oct 2013 12:01 PM PDT

 photo FM-Twocovers_zps76464dc3.jpg

Fab chick KeKe Palmer is rocking a double cover of Fuzion Magazine.  And she's talking about her 3-year relationship, playing "Chilli" in the upcoming TLC biopic and her fashion inspirations Rihanna & Nicole Richie.

 

Check it inside....

 photo 02-keke-palmer-fuzion-mag_zps3244a14e.jpg

KeKe's been spending her time getting those hardcore abs that Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas  of TLC became known for during her TLC days.  And it's def paid off.The singer/actress is looking stunning in this new shoot for the mag.

 photo 04-keke-palmer-fuzion-mag_zps2ce79315.jpg

In the new issue of Fuzion mag, the 20-year-old actress has gone from child star to getting her grown woman on.  Especially now that she's living with her named Rodney King.  She also talks about what she wants TLC's Chilli to take away from the portrayal of her in the TLC biopic on VH1.

Here's a few highlights:

On doing what she wants to do, despite outside opinions (like living with her boyfriend):

“I found that the more you stop thinking and just follow what you like and what you love, you can create your own style and other people will catch on to it.”

“Even though I’m in the entertainment industry most my advice or mentors come from outside of the industry. I don’t like to cloud my head too much with the Hollywood world---I really just talk to my mom, talk to God, my family is very close so if I have any issues I just talk to them about it and they help me through it.”

On transitioning from child star to adult actress

“It’s definitely been a, I don’t wanna say hard, but a big transition from being a kid and going up into an adult, while all being on screen.”

On her competition in the game

“I’m a perfectionist, I’m a Virgo, so it’s like I gotta do everything right especially when it comes to work.....My mom always taught me as a kid to compete with yourself.”

On her boyfriend of 3 years

“I am dating someone right now, we have been dating for three years now he’s a great guy, but I’m definitely in that part of my life where I’m really focusing on doing what I need to do and getting what I need to do get done and same as him. So it’s more so us focusing on ourselves and then getting back to each other.”

On playing Chilli in VH1's upcoming "Crazy Sexy Cool: The TLC Story"

"At the end the day I want her to be proud of my performance in the movie. She texted me when she saw the movie and was just like there couldn’t have been a better person that could have done it, I’m so proud of you, she and I really got a close relationship out of working on the movie.”
Alternative career- “ If I wasn’t an entertainer I would probably be a hair stylist. My family is full of hair stylist, my grandmother was a hair stylist for 40 years, my aunt is a hair stylist, my cousin is a hair stylist, I mean everybody in my family is a hair stylist, I would probably just be the loud mouth hair stylist.”

On fashion inspiration

“One of my favorite style icons would have to be Nicole Richie, I just oh my gosh, I literally go to her Instagram page and stare at it like this for about 20 minutes. Her style is so impeccable; she’s just classy, fun, cool, edgy all at the same time. As far as music I think everyone loves Rihanna’s style--- I like how fearless she is, I think that’s something everybody can love about Rihanna, she does what she wants and she feels comfortable in her decisions. That’s a really hard thing to do especially when you’re in the limelight, doing what you want and being comfortable in what you and loving who you are.”
 

 photo 03-keke-palmer-fuzion-mag_zps4c09ce9a.jpg

Loves her!

The digital and "order to print" magazines will be available on the Fuzion Magazine website today, while limited edition copies of the print issue will be available on October 17th 2013, the day of the dual issue release party with Keke Palmer.

Tami Roman Announces ANOTHER Reality Show + New SELF-HELP Book "Mistress 101"

Posted: 01 Oct 2013 10:52 AM PDT

 photo TamiRomanMorningBuzzLivePremieresNYCoAGxg1CWSoNl.jpg

"BBW" star Tami Roman has plans for a new self-help book "Mistresses 101" and a reality show.  Because what we all need is some self help advice from the most unnecessarily feisty chick on reality tv.  Maybe it doesn't matter that she doesn't seem to be able to help her own self.

 

Get the deets on both inside...

Now that her lip glosses and nail polishes are heading into Walgreens, "BBW" star Tami Roman can add herself to the list of reality stars who've turned their 15-minutes into a "brand."

For the next phase of her Roman Empire, Tami has revealed plans to released a self-help book titled Mistresses 101, offering women tips on keeping a man.  She talked about the project during a recent interview with Hot 97 saying,

"I have a book coming. It’s called “Mistress 101″ and it’s about women and their relationships and how they can keep them and what they should do and what they should be working on.  I’ve talked to mistresses.  I’ve been through a relationship and I thought I was the perfect mate, but clearly there were some things within me...."

  

It addition to the book, Tami told 107.5 WGCI's Nina Chantele of Tony Sculfield and the Morning Riot that she doesn't "plan" to continue with "BBW" and would is doing her own spinoff, The Roman Empire.  Of course.

"That's my own show. It's in development. It's about my life, my daughters. My core group of friends and Miss Elise Neal. I'm excited about showing the world who we are and what we've got going on."

Listen to Tami's book announcement at (18:08):

 

Listen to The Roman Empire announcement here:

 

 

Photo via Getty

CAPTION IT: Mama Nancy Jones & Treach Hugging It Out....

Posted: 01 Oct 2013 09:36 AM PDT

 photo hugstretch_zps72c13791.jpg

Jim Jones' mama Nancy Jones, who made a name for herself on the first version of "Love & Hip Hop", was spotted up at the Thisis50 Radio station offices yesterday with Treach.  And we can only imagine what their convo was like.

 

Caption it inside...

The mama of the Diplomats hugged it out with Naughty By Nature's Treach as they both visited Vivian Billings at the Thisis50 Radio/G-Unit offices in New York City to promote their new projects.  Hopefully one of them was NOT that Poom Kash punanny perfume ish she had going on...

We all know Nancy likes 'em younger than her and on the hood side.  So, about what could have possibly transpired between these two...

CAPTION IT!

PHOTO: SPLASH

No comments:

Post a Comment