Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cele|bitchy

Cele|bitchy


Alex Skarsgard: fans who think they know everything about you are flattering

Posted: 31 May 2011 09:24 AM PDT

skars1
True Blood’s Alexander Skarsgard is the cover boy for the June/July issue of Interview Magazine, and as we’ve heard so many times from Alex in the past he’s just incredibly gracious when it comes to dealing with his fans and with fame in general. Alex was being interviewed by Arcade Fire’s Win Butler, and you can read more of the story on Interview’s site, it just comes across as a nice conversation between two dudes getting to know each other. Here’s just a small segment:

BUTLER: [laughs] How burned out are you being a vampire? Or do you still love it?

SKARSGÅRD: No, I still love it. I think the writing on the show is so good that it keeps me interested. I was nervous when I first started True Blood because if you do a play or a movie, you know the complete arc of the character. You can see the end. But with a show like True Blood, you don't know what's going to happen. We're shooting season four, and I don't even know how it's going to end because they write it as we're shooting it. So I was nervous. I didn't know how it would be to live with a character for years, because I've never experienced that before. What happens if you wake up after two years, and you're like, "Oh, God. I'm over this guy"? But the writing is so good, and they keep surprising me. Plus, we only shoot for six or seven months out of the year, so there is time to try other things as well. That gives me a chance to not only go home and see my family, but also work on movies or do a play where I can dive into a different world and then come back to True Blood kind of rejuvenated.

BUTLER: There's always a thing with actors where people think they know you because they've seen you play a character for so long. It's different from what happens with musicians. I know that when I was a teenager and I was in New York, you'd recognize someone from a film and be like, I think I know this person because you know their face. How do you deal with that? The small amount of it that I've had to deal with drives me crazy.

SKARSGÅRD: Well, I think that meeting fans who feel like they know you and they know everything about you is actually very flattering. It means a lot to know that what you're doing actually means something to someone. But the thing that I feel to be a problem potentially is that you become that character, that in the industry, people associate it too closely with who you are and what you can do. I do get a lot of scripts sent to me where they basically want me to play Eric from True Blood, but just a different name in a different movie. That's not interesting to me. I don't want to play a character that I've played for four years on a television show, change the name, and make him a zombie instead of a vampire.

BUTLER: You either need lots of hits or no hits. The middle ground is not good.

SKARSGÅRD: No, it's not good at all. But that's a problem in Hollywood because producers want to pigeonhole you. They say, "All right, this is what works, this actor in this type of role." And when someone says, "Let's put him in a comedy instead," they're like, "No, no. He's the mysterious bad guy. You can't do that." But I assume that 99.7 percent of actors want to play different characters in different types of projects. That's kind of the reason you become an actor. It's not much fun to play the same character in 25 different movies or plays. There's got to be something new, something fresh. I want to almost be intimidated when I embark on a journey. I wouldn't say there's a fear, but I do get slightly nervous in the beginning when that happens, and I like that feeling. That triggers me a lot.

BUTLER: I think failure is underrated.

SKARSGÅRD: Failure is awesome. There's a Beckett quote, where he said, "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail better." I love that quote. I think that's what it's all about. Failure is definitely underrated. Just fail again. Fail better.

[From Interview]

I love how he was asked a question about fans bothering him and he turned it around, said they flattered him, never uttered one complaint about fans or even the paparazzi and just turned it into a discussion about getting pigeonholed as an actor. This is one gracious, classy guy. (With piss poor taste in women, but we’ll skip over that.)

Plus he’s just so incredible looking. Skars is all wet and shiny in these photos, looking like he’s about to hurt you in some glorious sadomasochistic ritual. (There are more here, on Interview, and he’s wearing long rubber gloves and brandishing a bat.) You could pose the guy any old way and he’d look gloriously hot. He’s game for anything and he doesn’t mind that we think he’s like Eric, as long as we’re paying attention to his performances. So many of us are and I see great things in store for him.

True Blood Season 4 premieres on June 26th. They better put every episode on iTunes by the next day or I will throw a fit.

skars2

Magazine photos courtesy of Interview. Other photos are from 5/24/11. We actually haven’t run these before, Alex just likes to wear black and grey clingy shirts. Credit: Fame Pictures

fp_7366812_skarsgad_alexand

fp_7366814_skarsgad_alexand

fp_7366817_skarsgad_alexand

Balthazar Getty makes a sartorial cry for help: fabulous or tragic?

Posted: 31 May 2011 09:00 AM PDT

fp_7392424_gettybaltazar_getsstarbucks_vij_04_12

In Balthazar Getty's defense, it's not like he wore this to a red carpet or something. In the lack of Balthy's defense, however, if this is how he dresses "casually" then we might have some problems. Even a traditionally stylish man would have problems making this outfit work. If Michael Fassbender showed up in this outfit… well, I would still hit it, and I would try to take off the pink pants with my teeth, but I would still be grossed out. I'm not going to bash the dude for not being afraid of color - but a nipple-hugging yellow shirt with PINK pants and a green shoes? For real?

And before you're all "Oh, those are women's pants"… DON'T. They're men's pants!! Look at the way they fit him!

CB and I were wondering if perhaps this is all an evil plot by Balthazar's wife Rosetta. She's actively trying to make Balthy look as unattractive as possible in the hopes that Sienna Miller's vadge of doom will simply stay in England and never bother Balthy again. You're rolling your eyes at me, I can tell. Don't be so sure I'm wrong! Remember Rosetta Getty's Harper's Bazaar interview and how crazy and smug she was about Balthy coming back to her after a year of Sienna's vadge of doom? Go here for a refresher. Rosetta is totally not over the whole Sienna debacle. And my guess is that Balthy's not over it either. I'm sure these pink pants are some kind of "I LURVE YOU" signal to Sienna. Too bad she's already moved on to Tom Sturridge (and SPARKLES!).

fp_7392425_gettybaltazar_getsstarbucks_vij_05_12

fp_7392430_gettybaltazar_getsstarbucks_vij_10_12

fp_7392431_gettybaltazar_getsstarbucks_vij_11_12

Photos courtesy of Fame.

Tori Spelling suns her baby bump & chest dent: gross or not that bad?

Posted: 31 May 2011 08:20 AM PDT

fp_7393484_spelling_tori_roq_10_55

Here are some new photos of Tori Spelling and a clean-shaven Dean McDermott on the beach yesterday. Tori wore a bikini and showed off her growing bump. Dean played with their kids. It was all a lovely photo shoot, and I think Tori is carrying really well, and this is maybe the best she's looked in a few years. Pregnancy suits her - her face fills out, we're not staring at her crazy bones, and people are more sympathetic to Tori when she's pregnant. However, I don't have any sympathy for what's happening to her bolt-ons:

fp_7394090_spelling_tori_roq_40_55

fp_7393494_spelling_tori_roq_20_55

So, so, SO disgusting. I don't understand how that doesn't HURT. I don't understand how you can just let that kind of thing "go". Like, "Oh, I have to wax my eyebrows and shave my legs but I'll put off doing something about THE ENORMOUS DENT IN MY CHEST."

Now, back to her bump… I'm glad she looks healthy. And I hope her pregnancy is very healthy. She looks really good (except for the chest thing).

fp_7393357_spelling_tori_roq_03_55

fp_7393488_spelling_tori_roq_14_55

Photos courtesy of Fame.

Kevin Bacon: “I don’t think I suffer from the disease of specialness”

Posted: 31 May 2011 08:00 AM PDT

bacon1

Aw, I love some Kevin Bacon. I've been so focused on Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy during the promotion of X-Men: First Class, and I've been ignoring The Bacon. He was interviewed in the new issue of Details, and… I just like the guy. He seems like he would be fun to hang with. He seems grounded - he and Kyra both. In this Details piece (full interview here), he talks mostly about his first comic book-adaptation gig, but he also gives some quotes about his 20-year marriage (amazing!) and Bernie Madoff.

DETAILS: You’ve played a lot of bad guys, most recently in the comic-book satire Super and the latest X-Men movie. What’s so great about going to the dark side?
Kevin Bacon: I never go, “Oh, I want to do it because he’s the bad guy.” I can’t stand badly written bad guys or guys who are just miserable pricks. The character in Super is just such a sociopath, I found it amusing. And Jean-Claude Van Damme had been offered the part. To pick up Jean-Claude Van Damme’s rejects was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

DETAILS: How did X-Men come to you?
Kevin Bacon: Totally out of the f-cking blue. I didn’t even know they were making the movie. I was in L.A. and they called me up: “Drive over to the Fox lot. You’re going to have to sit in the office and read. And you can’t take it with you. If you want it, it’s yours.” It was the office of one of the executives on the movie, and his secretary was there. She handed me the script. After I read it, she said, “Whatdja think?” [Laughs]

DETAILS: Was a comic-book franchise something you’d always wanted to do?
Kevin Bacon: I don’t either seek out a genre, nor do I limit myself to a genre. If someone came to me today and said, “It’s a horror movie, but it’s a really f-ckin’ good horror movie and it’s a great part,” I’d be there. I’ve done horror movies. The only thing that I’d done that came close to being a comic book was Hollow Man, in that it was an effects-driven movie.

DETAILS: You’ve lived in New York City your entire career. Has that helped or hurt you?
Kevin Bacon: I couldn’t have done it any other way. I got here at 17—suitcase and a dream—and thought, “Okay, now I feel at peace.” When you live in a place that’s so industry-driven like L.A., your own self-worth sometimes will be determined by the factors that are always in your face—the posters, the waiter with the script to give you. It’s been nice to have a buffer. I was a real pussy about L.A. for a long time. I was like, “I’m afraid. I don’t know how to get anywhere. I don’t like to drive.” And I can still fall into that. The downside is when someone says, “You’ve got 10 minutes to get over to the studio because they want to meet you.” Not living in L.A. is a dumbass move from a career standpoint.

DETAILS: You’ve made a lot of unpredictable career moves, like poking fun of yourself as the world’s biggest Kevin Bacon fan in the current Logitech campaign. Is there a plan?
Kevin Bacon: People come up with these rules. “You can only do commercials that run in Japan and Europe.” F-ck you! Who made that law? After Footloose I was on a sort of downslide, and my people were recommending that I only do movies when my name was above the title. But I had an agent who said, “Let’s do JFK,” and that’s what we did. Four days of work. Was not even close to being my movie.

DETAILS: Is there one of your movies that you like best?
Keving Bacon: I don’t know if this is a cheeseball thing to say, but I don’t watch my movies. So they become personal bookmarks for other things. When I think of Tremors, in a very short amount of time I’ve gotten engaged, gotten married, my mother’s gotten cancer, my career is in the sh-tter, my wife is nine months pregnant with our first child, and I am terrified. That’s Tremors.

DETAILS: You once said that it’s easy to get laid when you’re famous. Is it harder to stay married to the same woman—Kyra Sedgwick—for more than two decades?
Kevin Bacon: It’s hard to explain, other than to say I like being married to her. I like spending time with her. We have found the right person to be with. I do think that, as a guy, if you never get a chance to experience more than one partner, that’s going to be a really tough road. Luckily, I did.

DETAILS: The two of you lost a lot of money in the Madoff scandal. What was that experience like?
Kevin Bacon: I’m not going to say it didn’t have its emotional downsides. But we’re both young, and we both had the ability to work and roll up our sleeves and start putting the pieces back together. The truth is that we went through it together.

DETAILS: Did it have any impact on your professional decisions?
Kevin Bacon: Yeah, I think so. While I try to have integrity about the work that I do and the choices I make, I’ve also said from a very young age that I need to work. I don’t think I suffer from the disease of specialness.

[From Details]

I can't even describe how much I love that quote - "I don’t think I suffer from the disease of specialness." That should be the anthem, the motto of every working actor. I love him so much. And you know what? Tremors is totally an enjoyable movie! It's so cheesy and wonderful and delightfully low-budget.

Sigh… MORE BACON.

wenn3366065

Photos courtesy of WENN and Details Magazine.

Maria Shriver and Arnold were back in Malibu for the holiday weekend - apart

Posted: 31 May 2011 07:37 AM PDT

fp_7393113_shriverschwarzen
Maria Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger were each photographed separately in California over the long holiday weekend. Maria was seen hitting the beach with her kids in Malibu, going out to dinner and shopping in Brentwood. She spent the weekend at the family’s home in Malibu with her children. Arnold was seen cruising on his motorcycle in Malibu and trying to act the stud. Arnold recently came back to California from Utah, where he was staying in a home he owns in the Sun Valley Region. (Those of you who commented that he owned a place there were right!)

fp_7392893_shrivermaria_sho

There are some drips and drabs of news about this scandal, but it’s been relatively quiet in the past few days. TMZ has the news that Arnold’s first known mistress, his family’s longterm housekeeper Mildred Baena, is upset at her family for selling photos and stories about her to the tabloids. Apparently an ex wife of a family member is the person who has been selling out the most, but we’ve also heard from her ex husband and from her daughter. Baena’s daughter told Telemundo that “it’s just a big deal because [her mom is] hispanic and [Arnold] is a celebrity.” The daughter also claimed not to have known that her brother was Arnold’s son until this point. Baena has been in hiding since the scandal broke.

Maria sent out a few tweets in honor of Memorial Day that made a vague reference to the situation she’s going through. She tweeted (in reverse order):

My daughter once gave me a great Plato quote that said, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” I love that. So true.

We don’t know what is going on inside of most people. On this #MemorialDay, when so many are grieving in obscurity or silence, let’s keep that in mind. Be kind so many people are grieving. #MemorialDay

That was really touching. A lot of people are asking what Maria knew and when she knew it. I think she was in the dark for a long time, and I’ve heard that it’s incredibly common for people (i.e. neighbors, friends and coworkers) not to tell the wronged spouse when they know that their partner is cheating on them. No one wants to be the one to break that news, and then it’s often those same people that blame the person who got cheated on for not realizing it sooner. It’s not a cliche that the wronged party is often the last to know.

So how long is it going to be until Maria files for divorce and what other bombshells are going to come out about this mess?

You know who Arnold reminds me of here? Jesse James, that dumbass.

fp_7393110_shriverschwarzen

fp_7393109_shriverschwarzen

fp_7392895_shrivermaria_sho

Photo credit: Fame Pictures

Vanessa Paradis “sports her engagement ring” in her horrible Vogue UK shoot

Posted: 31 May 2011 07:24 AM PDT

vogue1

I could have sworn that Vanessa Paradis was just recently the cover girl for Vogue UK, but I was wrong. She recently did Harper's Bazaar UK, and that's what I was thinking of. So, here is the cover shot for Vanessa's July issue. It is… unfortunate. Look, I'm not one of those people that thinks that Vanessa is God's gift (those people seem to feel that way because of a devotion to Johnny Depp, in my experience), but I also don't agree with the many negative assessments of her beauty. I think Vanessa is pretty, chic, and unusual. I get why Depp fell for her - he has a type, and she's it. So, all of that being said, I've seen Vanessa look so much prettier in candid shots than this Mario Testino-shot cover. This is supposed to be the "Ageless Style" issue. So they made Vanessa look like a little old lady. She's Miss Marple-esque.

Anyway, this is all we have for now, these two horribly styled Testino shots and the "teaser" from the Vogue site about how the photo shoot features Vanessa "sporting her diamond engagement ring." Meaning…? I guess all of those interviews Johnny Depp during the promotion of POTC 4, where he claimed they weren't getting hitched, were all for naught. He gave her an engagement ring?!!? Okay, that is big news. I just realized it.

vp

vogue2

Photos courtesy of The Fashion Spot.

January Jones still won’t confirm or deny Matthew Vaughn’s alleged paternity

Posted: 31 May 2011 06:56 AM PDT

61910pcn_january06

Here are some new photos of January Jones out with her bump yesterday, in Malibu for a Memorial Day party. Have you noticed something odd? January Jones isn't confirming or denying ANYTHING concerning baby-daddy drama. She didn't say anything when people claimed that the father worked on X-Men: First Class. She didn't say anything when people claimed the father was a married man. She didn't say anything when everybody started yelling that the father was probably Matthew Vaughn. And she still hasn't said anything now that Vaughn has issued blistering denials to several media outlets.

It's not like January is doing a media blackout or anything - she's been giving interviews to print media and television outlets. They either don't ask her about her paternity drama or she shies away from saying anything. Several people have made this argument: it would be very easy for January to keep paternity a secret and still make a public denial about Matthew Vaughn. So why hasn't she? Because she doesn't care? Because he's the father and she promised him that she'd keep her mouth shut? Because she likes the attention? I don't know. Personally, I don't consider Vaughn's denials as definitive evidence that he's not the father. But I am considering other possibilities.

By the way, I'm kind of amazed at how much this paternity drama has changed the way I see January. I used to think she was kind of dumb and drunk and not half as interesting as she thought she was. But now I kind of love her. She's playing this whole thing really, really well.

61910pcn_january08

61910pcn_january11

Photos courtesy of Pacific Coast News.

The trailer for Katie Holmes’ horror movie actually isn’t terrible

Posted: 31 May 2011 06:40 AM PDT

dontbeafraid3

As much as we all chuckle at Katie Holmes as an actress, I have to give her credit for continuing to at least try despite all of her critical and commercial failures since she married Tom Cruise (and was supposed to become, you know, the next big thing). Instead, she’s made one very brief appearance on an episode of “Eli Stone,” botched the Jackie role in “The Kennedys,” and appeared in three movies — Mad Money, The Romantics, and The Extra Man — that have gone absolutely nowhere.

Now, Holmes has somehow landed a role in a Guillermo del Toro-produced film, Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, which is a remake of the 1973 made-for-TV movie and also stars Guy Pearce and Bailee Madison. The premise involves a young girl who goes to live with her father and girlfriend in a house where menacing creatures appear with extreme smoker’s voices and try to claim her for themselves. Naturally, the film’s atmosphere is shrouded in a shadowy darkness, which is probably where a lot of the scares come from, but here’s the trailer, so you may judge for yourselves:

Meh. The trailer actually makes the film itself look sufficiently creepy, and many horror fans have already realized that there’s not much else coming out this summer in the genre, so I imagine that this movie will fare much better at the box office than most films starring Katie Holmes do. Still, Katie herself fares quite poorly at what should be a relatively easy role to pull off; but instead of looking scared, she just looks like her usual zombie self. I also laughed at her “frustrated” moment where she’s presumably trying to talk Guy Pearce into leaving the home because, as usual, her acting is ridiculous and unnatural looking. Poor Katie Holmes should stick to playing at being a fashion designer and then wearing her busted designs on the red carpet. She’s at least good at creating and wearing fug outfits for our amusement.

dontbeafraid1

dontbeafraid5

Movie poster courtesy of Rope of Silicon

Prince William & Kate Middleton cover the July issue of Vanity Fair

Posted: 31 May 2011 06:25 AM PDT

waity12

Here is the new cover for the July 2011 issue of Vanity Fair. It's… not good. It's a "never before seen shot" from Mario Testino's engagement photo shoot with the couple in November, although Testino and Vanity Fair did a great disservice to Kate with this Photoshop job. She looks like an alien! Good God. Anyway, VF released a small little teaser to go along with the story (a story in which neither Kate nor William are interviewed):

Despite Will and Kate's new official titles—dude duke and duchess, respectively—Will made it clear at the wedding that he will continue to be addressed as Prince William, meaning Kate by default will be Princess Catherine, reports Vanity Fair writer Katie Nicholl. This may rattle some family hierarchies— the Countess of Wessex had wanted to be known as Princess Sophie, but had been forbidden by the Queen. The newest royal couple grace the July issue cover, with an exclusive portrait series by Mario Testino.

[From Vanity Fair]

Yeah, seriously! What's the good of marrying a prince if you're not going to be a princess?!? Sophie should be a princess too - after all, she married Prince Edward. And Kate should be too. Anyway, Testino talked more about what it was like to photograph Waity:

With wide smiles, they can barely conceal the excitement of their newly-announced engagement. In this never-before-seen photograph, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge appear close and relaxed – thrilled by thoughts of their impending big day. The photograph, taken by Mario Testino, graces the July cover of Vanity Fair.

It includes further portraits by Testino, such as the iconic picture of Princess Diana in 1997. The Peruvian photographer took William and Kate's engagement pictures at St James' Palace last November.

Though William, Prince Harry and the Prince of Wales have all turned to Testino for pictures to commemorate milestones, the celebrated fashion photographer had never before captured Miss Middleton. But speaking the Mail On Sunday’s Katie Nicholl for the accompany interview in U.S. Vogue, he said he already felt 'very confident' she would be an 'easy sitter' because of her natural grace.

And last week, speaking at a gala in his honour in New York, the 56-year-old said he understood why he was chosen to take the photographs. Testino, a close friend of Diana's, said: 'I guess it was a way for them to keep William's mother in the whole process of it.'

Despite the pressure of the shoot, Testino said the Duchess 'looked fabulous' and that the couple exuded 'sheer happiness'. He added: 'They are a young couple in love.'

The edition will lift the lid on the couple's house-hunting and who does the chores around their Anglesey home. It describes the pair's giggles as they watched their nuptials back on television, and recounts the moment Michael Middleton realised the relationship was serious – when Prince William arrived at his Berkshire home by helicopter.

It also recalls the rather surprising requests the pair had for their honeymoon suite – including Philadelphia cream cheese and Brussel sprouts. The July issue of Vanity Fair will be on news-stands on June 3, ahead of the newly-weds' trip to Canada and California in July.

[From The Mail]

Meanwhile, the couple has been making more and more public plans. People Magazine confirms that William and Kate will in attendance at "the glamorous 10th Absolute Return for Kids gala dinner, to benefit the Foundation for Princes William and Harry" next week in London. Waity and Wills, on a red carpet! Add to that their recently-released Canadian and American itinerary for July, and this is going to The Summer of Waity. The Summer of (the Duchess of) Crumpets?

testino1

testino2

Additional Testino photos courtesy of WENN. VF cover courtesy of VF online/Hollywood Life.

Snooki crashes into her police escort in Italy, sends two cops to hospital

Posted: 31 May 2011 06:04 AM PDT

wenn5661317
Unlike the time she was escorted off the boardwalk for being so drunk she couldn’t stand, Snooki was supposedly sober when she crashed her car so hard into a police escort car in Florence, Italy that the two officers had to be taken to the hospital on stretchers. At least that’s according to some reports.

wenn5662058

TMZ doesn’t mention the cops needing to be hospitalized at all and are saying that “no one was injured.” It sounds much more serious than that, and like MTV brass are trying to play it down. People Magazine has the news that the cops were taken to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries. Radar’s story backs up that version of events, with the detail that the officers had to be transported on stretchers.

Reality got a little too real Monday for Jersey Shore’s Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi.

She crashed into a police car in Florence, Italy, sending two officers to the hospital!

The MTV star was driving with Deena Cortese in the passenger seat and a member of the show’s production team in the back, when she struck the official vehicle, wedging her car between the police car and a wall.

And here’s the kicker — the car she hit was their official police escort!

The two officers in the car The Snookster hit were put on stretchers with their necks stabilized, and taken to Coreggi hospital, to be treated for bruises and possible whiplash.

Authorities were quick to say that alcohol was not involved, and RadarOnline.com has confirmed that the girls were not arrested as has been erroneously reported elsewhere.

Snooki and Deena were taken to a nearby police station to fill out an accident report.

[From Radar]

You wonder if anything will happen to Snooki and if this will affect filming of Jersey Shore in Italy, where that troop of entitled drunken brats aren’t wanted anyway. For one thing I doubt they’ll get a police escort again, and hopefully they’ll keep Snooki from driving. She was cited less than a year ago for not being able to walk straight and a bunch of geniuses at MTV are letting her drive in a foreign country.

wenn5663903

wenn5661313

Snooki is shown out in Italy on 5/25 (ugly boots and ridiculous dress with a pink leopard bow on her head), 5/26 (delivering pizza) and on 5/30/11 with Deena (furry Uggs). Radar Online has photos of the accident. Credit: WENN.com

No comments:

Post a Comment