Thursday, October 28, 2010

Crushable

Crushable


Posted: 28 Oct 2010 10:49 AM PDT

Iconic rockstar outfits, sketched - Check out this gallery of some of rock’s most famous outfits rendered by a digital artist. Paper dolls just got a reboot. (Buzzfeed)

Post from: Crushable

Your 2010 World Series Cheat Sheet

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 11:18 AM PDT

The World Series can be difficult for a non-sports fan. Even if you like baseball, it’s hard to keep up when obscure teams end up in the tournament. This year, the two teams playing sound like they’re from different leagues entirely. I’m from New York. The first time I heard the Giants were playing the Rangers, I thought it was some sort of cage match between New York’s football and hockey teams.

But sports conversations are easy to game. If you say one slightly knowledgeable thing, you can extract yourself easily from a conversation and move on with your life. Here we’ve compiled a few key facts to keep in mind in case you get stuck somewhere with sports fans this week. This handy guide should give you just enough info to sound knowledgeable. Before you excuse yourself to get a beer and never return.

(Above photo via Deadspin, Gallery by Getty)

Post from: Crushable

Your 2010 World Series Cheat Sheet

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 10:19 AM PDT

New Yorker On Tumblr On Facebook – Aren’t you sad you missed Tumblr founder David Karp’s speech today about how he sort of, but not really, wants his platform to be like Facebook? Don’t worry, the media elite has you covered, despite just discovering Tumblr two week ago. (New Yorker)

Post from: Crushable

Video: Robyn's "Indestructible," Now With Weird Tubes

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 10:13 AM PDT


Robyn ‘Indestructible’ Official Video

Robyn | Myspace Music Videos

Robyn’s new single, “Indestructible” has a video! In it, the Swedish singer wears some kind of weirdo tube contraption with colored liquids flowing in and out. Is this the future of mood rings? (Something, something IKEA joke.) The video contains some mildly graphic girl-on-girl action, FYI.

We think Robyn’s the cutest. The last time we saw her, she stopped mid-song to peel and eat a banana, like a true rockstar. Potassium!

Post from: Crushable

Video: Robyn's "Indestructible," Now With Weird Tubes

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 10:08 AM PDT

Love True Blood as much as we do? Then you’ll probably drool over this prize pack. We’re giving two lucky fans of Crushable on Facebook a True Blood graphic novel signed by its three creators and a bottle of Tru Blood blood orange flavored drink. To enter to win, simply click here and hit the “Like” button before 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, November 7.

Post from: Crushable

Fan Fiction: 'Twilight' By Sylvia Plath

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 10:02 AM PDT

It had been three months since Edward left. At first I feared that the days would tick by with excruciating slowness, like the indomitable drip of a leaky fauce,t or the eternity it takes for the life to flow out of the eyes of a newborn colt while my lover drinks its blood. But instead I found myself gasping for air at how fast I was speeding towards my own old age, and with it, the promise of mortality.

Edward had been my everything, and while I was with him, the novelty of his vampiric abilities had distracted long enough from that which had haunted me since my childhood: the terror of a long, tedious life. I’d always said there was nothing as horrifying, as gruesome, as the thought of growing old the way women do: nattering about, fixing their hair, injecting needles into their face, starving themselves and plumping up again in an effort to regain what they had lost in youth. A grim irony, for if they could remember what it was like to be a teenage girl they would be dying their hair gray and drawing the wrinkles on smooth faces.

Two months after Edward left, I was struck by the change in my appearance. I seemed to have aged decades in the course of weeks, I was gaunt and refused to eat the food that tasted like paper at Fork High’s cafeteria. My friends Lauren and Jessica asked me what was wrong and kept at the pretenses of caring for a bit, but woman’s true nature eventually shows through, and soon they showed more interest in snickering at me behind my back than sitting with me in the bathroom while my sobs echoed off the linoleum and shook the surrounding forests of Washington.

But by the third month I had embraced my new changes, and even welcomed them for what they truly were…heralds of my impending old age and all that it implied. I imagined myself like a backwards lost boy from Peter Pan: not stubbornly clinging to my youth, but proclaiming “I will grow up! I will be an invalid by 22!” If time would do for me what I was not brave enough to do myself, it was a miracle, not a curse. Despite the hole in my heart for what I once considered the only being capable of understanding the dullness of living forever, every day that passed made me wish for his return less and less, until soon his memory was monstrous, interchangeable with the concept of eternal life.

And that was when he returned. I had been sitting in my bedroom, waiting patiently for time to pass through me, age me, when I felt a breeze through my window. I turned around. There was the alabaster Edward, and his sight did not fill me with joy, as it should have, but with a bleak resignment. My heart thudded, dully. Edward stared at me for awhile, and those dead baby eyes that had seen so much in their lifetime pierced through my skull. I had a headache. The roar in my temples reverberated and in the distance I could hear Jacob, my sometimes-conjugal wolf friend, howl in despair.

“My darling Bella,” he murmured, “I have returned for you.”

I shivered and turned away from his touch that promised nothing for me but death, sweet death eternal, though one without respite from the constant water drip of the faucet. I realized now that what Edward offered wasn’t a true end to mortality, one with peace and absolute silence, but more of what I feared. Life, monotonous life forever. Could there be any purgatory more tailored to what I deserved? “Don’t bother,” I murmured, and left the room to draw myself a warm bath and search for the razors again.

Sylvia Plath is dead. She would have been 78 this month. This is her first foray into teen fantasy novels.

Post from: Crushable

Fan Fiction: 'Twilight' By Sylvia Plath

How to Handle the Real Job Carousel After College

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 09:11 AM PDT

Post-grad life is a lot about taking two steps forward only to take a step back. Some days, you feel like you're ahead of whatever curve you've set for yourself and then other days, you feel like you're falling behind. Although you have a lot more freedom and responsibility than life as a college student, the constant evolution of figuring out what to do next and what's right is never ending.

Example: Two months ago, I scored what I considered to be my dream internship. I was meeting and interviewing celebrities, hanging out at some of the fanciest Hollywood locations, rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous at LA parties, frequenting red carpet events, and finding out celebrity gossip before the masses. And now, well … I decided this isn't for me. There I go again. Two steps forward, and now that I quit, I feel like I'm one step back again. When can a girl get ahead?

In college, I feel like everything was a constant one-up. You know, where you out-do yourself and then you're like "Damn! Look at what I accomplished." Post-grad is more of a sporadic line graph that goes all over the place, where you have highs and lows and they fluctuate more than Lady Gaga's outfits. While I like to think that all of this yo-yoing will get me to where I want to be, it can feel a little frustrating.

To read the rest of the trials and tribulations of one girl’s post-college job cycle, check out the article over at College Candy!

Post from: Crushable

How to Handle the Real Job Carousel After College

Important Lessons In Lady Gaga Costumery

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 09:17 AM PDT

Is dressing like the band you’ve gone to see better or worse than wearing that band’s t-shirt? Debatable, unless your costume is so terrible the merch table’s giving shirts away just to cover you up. The photo above shows a gang of Lady Gaga fans accosting X-Factor judge and music mogul Louis Walsh after a concert. Perhaps you had trouble discerning that. Maybe, like us, you thought this was a photo of some gal pals dressed, respectively, as Susan Boyle, Wonder Woman, Dr. Strangelove, Britney Spears and Gene Simmons? With Halloween so close we can taste it (Milky Ways, candy corn, poor decisions), here are the most important Gaga-costuming lessons this photo has taught us:

1. A blonde wig does not a Gaga make. Half the time Gaga’s hair isn’t even blonde, y’all. Currently, the singer’s rocking neon yellow locks with dark roots.

2. Lady Gaga would never wear a pantsuit! (Actually, we could have cut the “uit” and the sentiment would still hold.) If you’re going to be that lazy about the whole thing, why even bother?

3. Same goes for pajamas, although we do see the appeal of trick-or-treating in comfy long underwear. Maybe make it skin-colored?

4. Remember: LG is the other white meat. If you’re at a loss for creative inspiration, just step into a steak.

Post from: Crushable

Important Lessons In Lady Gaga Costumery

Video: Demi Lovato Proposed to By Columbian Fan, Accepts

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 09:09 AM PDT

You are lucky to live in America, Demi Lovato! Based on our limited knowledge of foreign countries, in some places if a small child comes up to you on the street and demands that you marry him, you have to say yes or risk the firing squad. Luckily even when traveling in Columbia, Disney superstars are still under US diplomacy, and are allowed to laugh at their poor suitors while being a good sport and trying on the ring they bought her with their weekly allowance.

Hey, she accepted! Now that’s a legally binding agreement for The Sonny with a Chance star, right?

Post from: Crushable

Video: Demi Lovato Proposed to By Columbian Fan, Accepts

Sweet Repeat: Taylor Momsen's Year-Long Halloween

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 08:55 AM PDT

Look out Rose McGowan, Evan Rachel Wood and Juliette Lewis, there’s a new goth-rock chick in town. Despite comparisons to Courtney Love, we really think Gossip Girl’s Taylor Momsen is rocking a much more Craft-inspired ensemble this year. Well, at least she’ll be ready for October 31st…unless she decides to go as a normal 17-year-old girl.

(Photos via WENN)

Post from: Crushable

Sweet Repeat: Taylor Momsen's Year-Long Halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment