Friday, April 22, 2011

Crushable

Crushable


Fan Service: Canceling a Beloved TV Show Can Leave Fans in Emotional Anguish

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 11:30 AM PDT

Fandom, meet science. Ohio State University assistant professor Emily Moyer-Gusé and former grad student Julie Lather just released a study they conducted in 2008, polling 403 undergrads about how often they watched TV and how the 2007-08 writers’ strike affected them. The results were fascinating: People who watched TV religiously were distraught when their favorite shows and characters went off the air. Considering that the strike lasted only a couple of months, one could assume that fans of canceled shows suffer a much deeper loss.

The results are based on the theory of “parasocial relationships” that people create with the characters on the small screen; they treat these fictional people as real-life friends, set their schedules by the shows, and truly worry about the characters’ fates. We’ve also seen instances where the rallying power of fandom and the shared desire for a canceled show can make fans look as if they’re obsessed, when they want only to prolong this great communal experience. With long-running soaps like All My Children and One Life to Live recently canceled, there will likely be at least one generation feeling adrift from the void in their TV schedule.

There are several caveats to this study. Moyer-Gusé acknowledged that because the subjects were all college students, they were able to replace the lost TV time with other media-related activities such as surfing the Internet. They’re less reliant on television to begin with, compared to perhaps elderly people who have fewer opportunities for social interaction. Finally, no matter how distressed people were at shows being canceled, no one rated the feelings as matching those of a break-up. So, a guy can still break your heart more than a TV show can.

[via Jezebel]

Post from: Crushable

Fan Service: Canceling a Beloved TV Show Can Leave Fans in Emotional Anguish

Crushable Quotable: Will.I.Am Hates 'My Humps' Too

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 10:36 AM PDT

I think that The Black Eyed Peas are responsible for many of the most annoying songs in the world, and now someone else agrees with me – the band’s frontman Will.I.Am. In an interview, he explained that when the band was first getting big he felt obligated to play their radio hits, but now that they’re huge stars or whatever he realizes that “My Humps” isn’t his masterpiece and he resents playing it. Yeah, and I resent listening to it, dude.

We used to do ‘Let’s Get It Started’ at the end, because that was our big finale, which didn’t really make sense. And for a while, (we did) ‘My Humps’ and then it got to the point where we didn’t want to play ‘My Humps’ no more. You know, ’cause ‘I met a girl down at the disco’ – I just didn’t want to say that no more, lyrically. It wasn’t like my best lyrically.

If he thinks that is the worst line from “My Humps,” then he is clearly missing something. Might I offer a couple of others up for consideration:

  • My humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps
  • I’ma get, get, get, get, you drunk
  • I mix your milk wit my cocoa puff
  • What you gon’ do wit all that breast?/all that breast inside that shirt?

Oh, and I don’t know, the entire song?

Post from: Crushable

Crushable Quotable: Will.I.Am Hates 'My Humps' Too

Sex on the Wire: Battle of the Boyfriends

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 10:39 AM PDT

• Not believing in global warming is a dealbreaker. Unless he’s a Scientologist or some shit, in which case: game on! (The Frisky)

• Bibliotherapy is a natural method of increasing libido in women, if you happen to have that problem (and, er, not the opposite problem like us). (YourTango)

• Have you ever seen your boyfriend cry? No? Then punch him in the face already. (The College Crush)

• This woman is happily married but still dreams about her ex. We just saw a play about this problem. It’s called Kin and it was very good. (MyDaily)

• If you think he’s worthy, you can enter your boyfriend in Seventeen’s boyfriend battle. He will face a dragon. (Seventeen)

Post from: Crushable

Sex on the Wire: Battle of the Boyfriends

Fashion Flashback: Young Nathan Fillion Rocks Jorts and Roller Blades

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 10:25 AM PDT

And here I thought that the best example of so-embarrassing-he’s-adorable in Nathan Fillion‘s pre-Firefly career was his stint as the dumb plumber Johnny on Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. Then BuzzFeed found these photos (circa 1995) of Fillion modeling some very short jean cutoffs, a pair of roller blades, and a bandana. The pose suggests modeling, or maybe he was just showing off for his very lucky girlfriend of the time. Either way, he makes it look good.

Post from: Crushable

Fashion Flashback: Young Nathan Fillion Rocks Jorts and Roller Blades

Sweetie Darling! 'Absolutely Fabulous' Will Air Three New Episodes This Summer

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 10:03 AM PDT

Try to contain yourselves, fellow fans of British import Absolutely Fabulous: the sui generis show known as AbFab is returning with three original episodes later this year. The episodes will air on BBC1 and will include original main cast members Jennifer Saunders (Edina), Joanna Lumley (Patsy), Julia Sawalha (Saffy), and Jane Horrocks (Bubble). The new episodes will tape in August, and they don’t have a firm air date yet. It’s also not clear whether they’ll air in the US (pleasepleaseplease), but you can enjoy reruns of AbFab on the Logo channel.

In the meantime, I plan to amuse myself by revisiting some great moments of AbFab past:

Post from: Crushable

Sweetie Darling! 'Absolutely Fabulous' Will Air Three New Episodes This Summer

The Daily WTF: Criminal Caught with Murder Map Tattoo

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 09:52 AM PDT

This is simultaneously the dumbest and most brazen human act we’ve seen in a long time: an unsolved murder at a liquor store in the Pico Rivera area of Southern California was case-closed this week after police realized they had mugshot that contained a tattooed depiction of the crime. That tat was found on Anthony Garcia, a member of the Rivera gang. Anthony, whose nickname is “Chopper” is depicted as a helicopter shooting a round of bullets at his victim, who’s show as Mr. Peanut. And it’s all going down outside the liquor store in question.

Let’s hope Anthony’s saved some room on his back for a jail scene.

(via)

Post from: Crushable

The Daily WTF: Criminal Caught with Murder Map Tattoo

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 09:41 AM PDT

Rider Strong speaking on a social media panel today. – The Boy Meets World star, whose short film The Dungeon Master is in the Tribeca Film Festival, will talk about the usefulness of social media in promoting films. The panel streams online starting at 2:30 p.m. EST. (TFF 2011)

Post from: Crushable

Happy Earth Day! Here Are 15 Environmentally-Conscious Celebs

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 09:37 AM PDT

Global warming, deforestation, polluted water, endangered species… Celebs like Selena Gomez, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Alexander Skarsgård do it all, and though their work with various organizations (including some foundations named after them) is highly publicized, they don’t seem like attention-grabbing photo ops.

  • Hayden Panettiere
  • True Blood cast
  • Selena Gomez, Adrian Grenier, Rihanna
  • Leonardo DiCaprio
  • Kevin Costner
  • Kristen Bell
  • Julianne Moore
  • Sting and Trudie Styler
  • Natalie Portman

Post from: Crushable

Happy Earth Day! Here Are 15 Environmentally-Conscious Celebs

Poll: Which One of These Classic Disney Movies Should I Watch?

Posted: 21 Apr 2011 06:09 PM PDT

There are a whole lot of movies I haven’t seen, hence the entire point of my Virgin Viewing feature. I’ve watched classics from a variety of genres, including horror (Jaws), adventure (Indiana Jones), and drama (The Godfather). Next up: a Disney film. I have seen a lot of the more modern ones, like The Lion King and The Little Mermaid, but I’m missing a huge swath. Here are some of the ones I’m considering – which one should I tackle for next week’s column?

Post from: Crushable

Poll: Which One of These Classic Disney Movies Should I Watch?

Am I Right Ladies? You're My Doll, Midol

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 08:41 AM PDT

Let's face it girls, menstrual cramps are the worst. I'm talking worse than running out of your last box of Thin Mints. And you had a stash of 20 cases. That's ripping-pictures-of-your-cat-off-your-bedroom-wall bad! While there may not be a cure for Girl Scout cookie withdrawal (I'm looking at you Merck), we can count ourselves lucky that the world has given us Midol for when being a woman is an ugly business. Then again, when is it not, amirightladies? Just kidding. Hormones, ugh.

Mostly I refer to Midol as my savior often, out loud and to anyone listening (willingness is optional, boys). But an interesting thing happened to me the other day, females. As I felt the familiar throbbing heat pulsing throughout my body like a nuclear meltdown of tears and chocolate cravings – I found myself wondering "what does Midol think about me?" Call me Nancy Drew, but I think a brief jaunt through the history of Midol advertising just might answer that question. First things first, though, where the f**k did I hide my emergency supply of Tagalongs? Oh that's right, in this box of Trefoils.

  • The Calendar Says Give In, Midol Says Go On
  • Betty's Blue, Betty's Gay
  • Your Guy: Your No. 1 Reason for Midol
  • Midol Helps It All Go Away
  • Reverse the Curse
  • Boxing Gloves
  • The Best Thing About Having Your Period

Post from: Crushable

Am I Right Ladies? You're My Doll, Midol

No comments:

Post a Comment