Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Crushable

Crushable


Textual Healing: The Text-lationship And How To Avoid It

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 11:04 AM PST

textual healingText messaging is often the fastest way to communicate with friends and acquaintances, but it's not always the best one. Especially when it comes to texting with guys. Here at Crushable we aim to help you sift through all the subtext and emerge relatively unscathed – with a little help from our friend Amanda Ernst.

If you have dated in the age of text messaging, chances are you have encountered the text-lationship. You know what I mean: there are those guys who you find yourself having hours-long text convos with who never seem to get it together enough to ask you out on a real date. If you try to nail down a time to hang out and get nothing but brush-offs, followed by “What’s up?” texts the next weekend, you’re probably in a text-lationship. And a dead-end one at that. I had experienced this before, to my dismay, but until now I didn’t quite have a name for it. (Thank you, The Frisky.)

Besides the fact that the text-lationship is wholly unsatisfying, it can make you feel pretty undesirable as well. You give a guy your number to hang out with him, right? Endless back and forth texting probably wasn’t on your wish list of things to do with him, unless it accompanies a hot and steamy make out session every now and then. And as annoying as it is for this sort of thing to evolve after you give a new guy your number, it’s even more discouraging when you find yourself in the midst of a text-lationship with someone who you’ve gone on one or two promising dates with.

A few months ago, I met a guy who was perfect on paper — and in text. He contacted me (via text, natch) the perfect number of days after we met (three) and was very sweet and complimentary. He said he was busy with work, and so was I, but after a little compromise we settled on a meeting date and time. The date was great, and I was up for a second — but he informed me he was leaving in a week for a two-week trip. Still, I thought we would meet up again afterwards. He kept my hopes alive with frequent texts, always saying the right things at the right moment. He called me “cutie” in his last text before taking off, how could I not swoon? (Side note: calling me cutie is most definitely the way to my heart.)

But, as you will probably guess, this story doesn’t have a happy ending. A week went by after he was supposed to return to New York, and I still hadn’t heard from him. Most girls would just write him off, but I was curious. Would I hear from him again a few months down the line? Wanting to know one way or another, I texted him, asking if he was back in town. If he brought up hanging out again, I would push him to meet up soon. If not, I was going to throw this fish back into the sea. His response: “Just wrapped up an all-consuming work project. How you livin?” Not wanting to get wrapped up in another text conversation, but not wanting to be rude, I put the ball back in his court. I ended my response with, “Can’t wait to hear all about your trip.” When I didn’t hear from him, I was finally ready to move on.

If you’re not sure, here are some tips to clue you into the fact that you might be in a text-lationship:

• You talk more via text message than you do in person
• You get texts from him mid-week or early in the night on a weekend asking what you’re up to, and then never hear from him once you’re out
• Long text conversations end with no firm plans to hang out
• His texts include “Let’s hang out some time this week or next” or “If you’re ever free one night, let me know.”

But defining your experience as a text-lationship is only half the battle. Once you know you’re in the midst of a one, what can you to end it or avoid it in the future? Just be honest. If you want to see a guy, don’t be coy. If he asks you to hang out, tell him what days you’re free and ask him to pick one. Or do what Frisky writer Beth Ames did and tell him to let you know when he’s free for a drink. If you feel unfulfilled by a text-only relationship and keep wondering, “Why won’t he just ask me out?” then try to make it happen, and if it doesn’t let him go. You might lose a texting buddy, but you’ll feel so much better having spoken your mind or moved on. Take it from me.

Have you ever found yourself in a text-lationship? How did it end up? Leave your experiences in the comments below and you might see it featured in an upcoming installment of Textual Healing.

Post from: Crushable

Textual Healing: The Text-lationship And How To Avoid It

Video: PS22 Sings with Skeleton of Kylie Minogue

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 10:48 AM PST

Wow, that was really harsh Thai, but it’s totally true: We are happy that Kylie Minogue had time to climb her way out of Hades and make an appearance with the PS22 chorus, who all know the words to her very popular song “Put Your Hands Up,” but at the same time, that lady needs to un-Madonna-fy herself, fast. She is really scary looking.

Post from: Crushable

Video: PS22 Sings with Skeleton of Kylie Minogue

Crushable's Cat Lady: Secret Stalking Is The Best Stalking

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 10:42 AM PST

Dear Cat Lady,

OMG OMG OMG I just found out that the boy I like can see EVERY TIME that I've visited his online dating profile and he wasn't even supposed to know that I knew about it in the first place because we go to school together and he TOLD ME HE WAS DATING SOMEONE and that was why he couldn't go out with me and then I found his profile and then I looked at it like every ten minutes and he's going to think that I'm crazier about him than you are about your cats OMG OMG OMG.

OMG -
Accidental Stalker Girl

Dear Accidental Stalker Girl,

Judging from the picture of your boy's face that you Photoshopped onto a fuzzy kitten body (kinda weird, but I'm fine with whatever floats your little boat), you're right to stalk him. I might even add him to my list, although what with my dial-up connection, it takes all morning just to get through my daily George Clooney and Cat Fancier routine.

But letting him know that you're stalking him – that was a mistake. This whole situation reminds me of Didums, one of my cats. Didums is a bitch (by which I do not mean that she is a female), and loves to torment a poor tomcat who yowls his heart out to her every evening from the backyard as she and I watch Will and Grace and lick out hairballs.

And you know how I know that she likes him? Every evening, she hops up onto a windowsill to catch the sunbeam that slants in just before the sun sets, and she sits there, looking at him, for just ten minutes until the sun dies. And then she turns her back and goes out of his sight, inspiring him to yowl for the rest of the night.

You see, he thinks that she's only interested in the sunbeam. But she knows that the sunbeam is just a pretense, so she can look at him without him knowing that she's interested. And that's how she keeps him interested.

Similarly, you need to come up with some reason to explain why you've been clicking on him so much. A reason that won't be flattering to him. Just brainstorming, here's a couple: you're a sex addict who looks at everyone's online dating profile several times a day; you've trained your cat to use the computer, and she's obsessed with his profile because his facial hair makes him look just like a gerbil; you're doing research for a business project whereby you're a prostitute. These are just off the top of my head – I'm sure that you can come up with something better. Or, at least, something that you can pretend to be proud that you thought up on your own.

Love and hairballs –

The Cat Lady

Post from: Crushable

Crushable's Cat Lady: Secret Stalking Is The Best Stalking

IFP's Gotham Indie Film Awards Brought Lots Of Black To The Red Carpet

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 10:22 AM PST

Leighton Meester, Natalie Portman and Hilary Swank? All wore black to last night’s IFP awards. We suppose the moody hue is the uniform of indie film, so we shouldn’t be all that surprised. At least didn’t step out in Chuck Taylors and hoodies with their faces buried behind Final Cut Pro monitors, right? Check out our gallery of darkly attired celebs.

  • Natalie Portman radiated.
  • Lena Dunham looked a little grumpy.
  • We love Hilary Swank in this gown.
  • Leighton Meester rocked the Charlie Chaplin look.
  • Darren Aronofsky's stache is still going strong.
  • Mila Kunis in black.
  • Anne Hathaway went with a print.
  • Julianna Moore's hair is always so amazing!
  • Paul Rudd, we love you so.
  • Amber Tamblyn in a quite grown-up ensemble.

Post from: Crushable

IFP's Gotham Indie Film Awards Brought Lots Of Black To The Red Carpet

Congratulations Krissy, Our Black Friday Giveaway Winner!

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 10:18 AM PST

Shopping horror stories CAN have happy endings. At least this one does. Crushable reader Krissy won us over with her story of waiting in the rain and getting body checked by a crazy mom on Black Friday. Today, we’re sending her a gift bag full of goodies hand picked from Crushable’s holiday gift guide.

For those of you you will not be receiving Philosophy products and canned unicorn meat in the mail, do not fret. We’re currently holding another contest. Whichever Crushable reader has the most Facebook fans in common with Crushable by December 12 will receive a $200 gift card to JCPenney.

Post from: Crushable

Congratulations Krissy, Our Black Friday Giveaway Winner!

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 10:04 AM PST

Barbie’s Actual Dreamhouse, Now Less Barfable - Lady Gaga’s makeup artist Darian Darling has turned their entire home into a Barbie-inspired 60s lounge. And its not at all hideous: it’s actually really cool. Way to go, baby monster! (Apartment Therapy)

Post from: Crushable

Poll: Is 14 Too Young To Have Sex?

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 09:59 AM PST

Khloe Kardashian was on The View yesterday, where she divulged the fact that she first had sex at 14. And she regrets it. More than that, she said it was “not normal.” What do you think, Crushable readers? Is 14 too young to have sex?

We’ve put the video at the end of this post, which you can check out. But here are some of the highlights. Namely, she wishes it hadn’t happened. According to Khloe:

“He was only I think, 18, but for 14 to 18 now looking back, I think that’s not a normal thing,”
Khloe says she felt like her boyfriend at the time pressured her to have sex:
“I feel like I was almost conned, not conned, but like you know persuaded because he was older and I felt that I wouldn’t be accepted or cool or whatever.”
But beyond the specific dude being creepy, Khloe says she just wasn’t ready to have sex:
“But then I do remember when I was done…I felt so disgusted with myself…I didn’t have sex for three years after that…cause I knew I was young. I knew I wasn’t ready…I should have listened to my parents,” the 26-year-old socialite said.
What do you think? Is 14 too young to have sex? Or, was this a situation of a girl letting herself be influenced by a dude. In a different situation, is sex between a 14 year old and an 18 year old totally fine?

Post from: Crushable

Poll: Is 14 Too Young To Have Sex?

Interview: 'Reasoning With Vampires' Creator Discusses 'Twilight' Abuse

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 09:48 AM PST

Yesterday we were introduced to the most amazing Tumblr to ever come from a book series, Reasoning with Vampires. The author of the site, Dana, has taken on the Herculean task of proof-reading all of Stephanie Meyers‘ books (the Twilight Saga, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner) and relating back to us all the narrative, grammatical, and yes, even spelling issues that pepper the YA prose.

We emailed Dana and asked her to comment on a couple of her favorite (least favorite) passages, and give her advice for vampire dating etiquette.
How did you happen upon the idea for Reasoning with Vampires? You don’t seem like the normal Stephanie Meyers fan. Did the movies just piss you off?
Fantasy was never my fiction genre of choice, so I didn’t pay much attention to the Twilight epidemic at first. After Breaking Dawn came out, I noticed a lot of opinion articles popping up about the warped content of the series, like “Bite Me! (Or Don’t)” from Bitch Magazine. The more articles I read, the more I disapproved. When my sister asked if I read the books (I hadn’t), she told me I ought to, which lead to an argument. She thought Edward was dreamy; I thought he was a creep. Even though I felt justified, those kinds of conversations always made me feel like a jackass for criticizing something based on the opinions of others. The incessant “ECLIPSE MOVIE OHMYGOD” promotions earlier this year reminded me, so I bit the bullet.

I was floored. Not only did I dislike the characters, the plot, and the troubling psychology, but the writing was atrocious. I wasn’t expecting bad writing. I held out admitting that I was reading Twilight until I couldn’t stand it anymore, and my boyfriend was on the receiving end of a rant about how you can’t have “liquid topaz“. That was the first of many. To give him a break I decided to kill the demon by taking a red pen to it, but I soon realized that there was not enough space in the margins. Eventually I decided to go about the “project” in the approach that is now RwV.

Is there a particular passage or character that you find particularly egregious?
• The most inexcusable item I’ve noticed so far is the moat/mote sentence. I don’t know if Meyer wrote the wrong word or if something was bungled by the printer, but it’s wrong. It’s just wrong. The copy I’m working from was purchased within the last six months, which was almost five years since the book was released. Whoever did it, it’s stupid and sloppy, and Meyer’s name is on the cover.

• I love to hate this passage that makes no sense:The Cullens and the Hales sat at the same table as always, not eating, talking only among themselves. None of them, especially Edward, glanced my way anymore. This is not possible. One person cannot do nothing more than four other people who are doing the same nothing. It’s like when people say, “I could care less,” instead of, “I couldn’t care less.”

• Meyer seems to have a very loose grasp on vocabulary finesse. She fails to realize that just because a word is accurate from the standpoint of the definition, it’s not automatically the right word to use. The first time the reader learns about Edward’s sparkling perfection, his skin looks “like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface.” It’s a huge moment! It is supposed to be a swooning moment, but I can’t help but cringe at the thought of gems being shoved into his skin. The connotation of a word like “embedded” conjures images more befitting bmezine than a fairytale romance.

• On more significant scale, I have a problem with the fact that (SPOILER ALERT) the climaxes of New Moon and Breaking Dawn are resolved with, “In that case, never mind.”

Post from: Crushable

Interview: 'Reasoning With Vampires' Creator Discusses 'Twilight' Abuse

Video Gallery: The Weirdest Santa Videos

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 09:31 AM PST

Watching the end of the Thanksgiving Day Parade last week, we couldn’t help but notice that Santa Claus looked a little… well… creepy. We felt bad for even thinking something negative about jolly old Saint Nick, but we couldn’t help it! So we got to wondering: are there other people out there who have off-kilter ideas about Santa? YouTube has spoken and the answer is a resounding “Ho ho, um, totally.”

Dubstep Santa’s coming, you guys. Leave out some cookies and headphones.

Attack of the Santas plays out like a Christmas story written by Cormac McCarthy. Meaning: Terrifying!

Post from: Crushable

Video Gallery: The Weirdest Santa Videos

Silly Bandz For Nintendo DS and 4 Other Trends Turned Into Video Games

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 09:07 AM PST

Silly Bandz, those things your kids wear on their wrists to identify what sexual acts they’ve already engaged in, is now coming to their portable Nintendo DS in game form!

In the game, players take aim and catapult Silly Bandz to rescue other Bandz trapped in a variety of structures and cages.

As players progress, they can unlock new Silly Bandz to help them in their quest. Some Bandz feature special powers, such as multiplying or exploding in air, or surviving environmental hazards by transforming upon impact.

Socially aware and fun? No way! Here are 4 other super silly trends that we’d like to see become videogames.
1. Sixteen and Pregnant: Score!

Duck and dodge your parents to sneak out with your bum of a boyfriend and get knocked up before prom. Earn extra points in the punching round, where you hit your significant other until he agrees to take responsibility for the baby.

2. Slap Bracelets: Final Fury

You know how there was that kid from a neighboring middle school who cut their wrist open on the metal parts of a slap bracelet and that’s why you weren’t allowed to wear them to class anymore? Uncover the mystery of this urban legend in a Myst-like first-player game around your childhood to get clues as to whether or not this actually happened.

3. Justin Bieber’s 3D Glasses: Rock Invasion

It’s like Rock Band, except in 3D and the only song available is “Baby.”

4. Angry Birds: For Playstation

Actually, this is a real thing.

Post from: Crushable

Silly Bandz For Nintendo DS and 4 Other Trends Turned Into Video Games

No comments:

Post a Comment