Thursday, June 23, 2011

Crushable

Crushable


Fan Fiction: Lauren Conrad’s Forbes Column

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 10:55 AM PDT

Guess what? Lauren Conrad is writing a column for Forbes. Yes, Forbes, the business publication. Lauren Conrad is writing about being a businesswoman. Her very first piece is up today — and we got an exclusive look at the very first draft, which we’ve reproduced below:

FORBES LIFESTYLE – LAUREN CONRAD

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you cannot find…

- Natasha Bedingfield, “Unwritten”

Hi! My name is Lauren Conrad and I'm an entrepreneur (a French word meaning "a person who has possession of a new enterprise, venture or idea and is accountable for the inherent risks and the outcome of a product"). I'm also a fashion designer, a novelist and a blogger (an English word meaning "writer"). Oh, and you might recognize me from a little something called The Hills :-)

In my Forbes column, I'll be giving advice on running a business while also staying true to yourself. Girl Power! : -) Here are some of my tips:

1. A can of Red Bull makes a great paperweight

Being an entrepreneur means that sometimes you'll be bombarded with lots of paper. My desk is often covered with things like gift receipts and thank you cards and business documents. I've gotten really into the idea of paperweights, because they keep my papers from flying away when a summer breeze comes in through the window : -) Scented candles make good paperweights even if you don't light them, and I also like sea glass. In a pinch, though, just plop down that can of Red Bull or Monster and keep your papers on the desk where they belong, instead of out on the streets of Beverly Hills or wherever you work : -)

2. Business attire doesn't have to mean ties

I like to dress appropriately for my job, but I also like to let my girly side come through :-) Sometimes I'll wear a pink chiffon top underneath a black blazer. Or, maybe I’ll wear a cream blazer, or even a denim jacket in the spring. It's also okay to wear a touch of floral to the office, especially if the flowers are roses or sunflowers. Go ahead and let your inner girl out!

3. Whenever I send my assistant to get me a green tea latte from Starbucks, I always tell her to get one for herself

Treat the people around you kindly and they'll be kind to you in return. That's something that’s written on a paperweight I have : -) It’s little things like this that make being a businesswoman worthwhile.

4. CEO vs. CFO

CEO stands for “chief executive officer,” and CFO stands for “chief financial officer.” The CFO is in charge of the finances and the CEO is in charge of executing things.

5. Strawberry lemonade for business meetings

I take a lot of meetings with different kinds of people like fashion buyers, TV producers and other entrepreneurs (some of them are actually French!). I like to have a fresh batch of strawberry lemonade out for these meetings. It puts my visitors in a good mood and really shows that I care about them being there. In the warmer months, I like to add a sprig of fresh mint to each beverage. These glasses also make good paperweights.

(Ed. Note: Due to scheduling conflicts, Kristin Cavallari will take over for the remainder of the column.)

I break tradition, sometimes my tries are outside the lines
We’ve been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can’t live that way

- Natasha Bedingfield, “Unwritten”

Hey guys. Um, okay, just so you know, I’m not here to make friends with this column. I’m just here to talk about business. I guess I should start by telling you why I’m more qualified for this than Lauren is, but to do that I’d need a webcam. Anyway, I’m an actress and the best business strategy for that is finding an agent. It’s also important to go to the gym and l guess to have a hot boyfriend. And a good body, and make sure your teeth are white. Fuck this, I’m going shopping.

The rest is still unwritten

- Natasha Bedingfield, “Unwritten”

Related posts:

Post from: Crushable

Fan Fiction: Lauren Conrad’s Forbes Column

Movie Trailer Deja Vu: Comparing ‘Footloose’ 1984 to ‘Footloose’ 2011

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 10:46 AM PDT

What should you do when you have a famous iconic movie that everyone has seen? Make it again with new people, obviously. Footloose came out in 1984. It had great success at the box office, but that isn’t stopping Hollywood from remaking it in the least necessary way. Taking apart the trailers from the soon-to-be-released 2011 version and the original 1984 version, we find that they are almost the exact same movie (but the new version has grinding! lots of grinding!) despite the attempt at modernization.


[Note: A huge shout out goes to my big brother, Pete Polesnak, who provided the lovely voiceover for this alternative trailer.]

 

Related posts:

Post from: Crushable

Movie Trailer Deja Vu: Comparing ‘Footloose’ 1984 to ‘Footloose’ 2011

Am I Right Ladies? So Many Housewives, Not Enough Husbands

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 10:24 AM PDT

It's bad enough that I'm still single, I don't need to be reminded that even awful womyn manage to snag husbands, amirightladies? I mean come on, enough already. We need a moratorium on "wife" shows like I need a moratorium on products with high fructose corn syrup – I'm 98% positive both will give us diabetes. The other 2% of me is eating a strawberry fruit roll-up. Never forget, amirightladies?

But seriously, girlfriends, it's not so much the being single part that bums me out about these shows, it's the total lack of sisterhood. It's like dye jobs and tanning make these ladies allergic to estrogen. Meanwhile dye jobs and tanning make me allergic to being seen in public. But before I get back to alternating between Golden Girls and Designing Women for hours, I think a quick look at the promotional photos for these shows will say just enough. Oh the womanity, amiright?

Related posts:

Post from: Crushable

Am I Right Ladies? So Many Housewives, Not Enough Husbands

Snap This: We’ll Take the Nathan Fillion Roll, Thanks

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 09:50 AM PDT

Last week fan favorite Nathan Fillion tweeted a photo of this sushi menu with the caption, “Now I know. I’ve made it. I’ve finally made it.” He’s referring to his current TV character being immortalized in sushi: The Rick Castle Roll, which includes yellowtail, seared tuna, and shishito pepper. It’s the latest roll inspired by a celebrity at LA’s Hamasuku.

According to its MenuPages profile, the restaurant has named several sushi creations after celebrities like Charlize Theron (tuna in fried wonton shells), Sarah Michelle Gellar (jalapeno topping), and Robert Pattinson (crab and spicy tuna). Others are probably tributes to friends of the chef.

And yes, there’s even a “Rick Roll,” named for Gangs of New York producer Rick Yorn.

Related posts:

Post from: Crushable

Snap This: We’ll Take the Nathan Fillion Roll, Thanks

The Daily WTF: Ice Cubes and Ice-T

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 09:42 AM PDT

Conan O’Brien Should Give His ‘How I Met Your Mother’ Cameo to a Fan

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 08:57 AM PDT

The circumstances surrounding Conan O’Brien‘s upcoming cameo on How I Met Your Mother are aww-worthy: At a celebrity auction, he outbid everyone (including himself) for the prize of a walk-on role. Because the money went to playwrights (what I do when I’m not writing for Crushable), I can’t fault him for such a generous gesture. But the prize itself is wasted on him; it should go to a genuine fan of the show.

To be fair, O’Brien seemed really excited about the role when chatting with Neil Patrick Harris on his TBS show the other night. He said that even though the producers were ready to write in a part for him, he thought it’d be funnier if he were just chilling in the background at MacLaren’s.

O’Brien can cameo on the show anytime he wants, in whatever capacity fits into the current arc. He can play himself or some schmuck with a beer; either way will get him plenty of attention. He’ll join celebrities like Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Jason Lewis, and Jennifer Lopez, all throwaway cameos. Walk-on roles used to be reserved for fans who wrote hundreds of postcards explaining why they should be on-camera, or who camped out for the opportunity. It’s too easy to give it to a celebrity who could just as well arrange a lunchtime meeting to achieve the same end.

The sporting thing to do would be to grant this walk-on role to a HIMYM fan who would have gladly bid upwards of $3,000 had the auction been public. (Initially I thought that Conan had used his considerable wealth to outbid fans, when it turns out that it was a private auction for the celebrity attendees of the Ojai Playwrights Benefit Gala.) Hell, the two of them could appear in the same scene toasting some brewskis at the pub while Barney and Robin realize that they’re meant to be.

Related posts:

Post from: Crushable

Conan O’Brien Should Give His ‘How I Met Your Mother’ Cameo to a Fan

Questionable Choices: Wee Man Gets a Ryan Dunn Tattoo

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 08:49 AM PDT

Jackass star Ryan Dunn died earlier this week in a car accident that was reportedly the result of his drunk driving. His friend and costar, Wee Man, has decided to honor Ryan by getting a tattoo of his friend’s face. He posted a YouTube video where he talked about Ryan and got inked:

Related posts:

Post from: Crushable

Questionable Choices: Wee Man Gets a Ryan Dunn Tattoo

The ‘Challenge’ Awards: Punching Someone Gets You Sent Home, Unless You’re CT

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 08:18 AM PDT

You guys, I love the Real World/Road Rules Challenge. Even though it’s not really the Real World/Road Rules Challenge anymore because they haven’t aired Road Rules in like a decade (except that weird Viewer’s Revenge thing, which we’re not talking about) and most of the people on these shows now got started on Fresh Meat, so now the show is just called The Challenge. This year’s theme is “Rivals,” and that means the contestants are paired up with people they hate. I’m ready for another season of hookups, screaming, and bungee jumping. So let’s do this.

Best soundbite: Robin

Robin, who we all remember from The Real World: San Diego, has basically been on every Challenge since then. She has brown hair now, which is much more flattering, but her total crazy has not gone away. During the opening montage, where the Challengers start walking out and we get treated to clips of Days Of Yore where people yelled at each other about alliances, Robin voiceovers, “You couldn’t have picked a bigger group of assholes.” Oh, how right you are, my dear.

Best comeback: TJ Lavin

TJ, a BMX biker, has hosted the last couple of Challenges. He is usually kind of blah and reads off of cue cards a lot, but I love when he lays into people for sucking and/or quitting. Some of the Challengers recap how TJ was badly injured in an accident last year and they’re not sure how he’s doing healthwise. Then, surprise! TJ emerges, looking tired and somewhat puffy, but it’s nice to see him back up and at ‘em again. Everyone is genuinely happy to see him and claps, which is weird, because I forget that these people have any emotions other than “rage.”

Worst pairing: CT and Adam

Now, I love the idea of making these knuckleheads work with their rivals. That’s because most of the time the reason they hate each other is because they fought over a girl or cheated to win a challenge or something, but CT punched Adam in the face. Like, if a producer hadn’t been there CT would have kicked the shit out of Adam. I don’t think it’s a) cool that they keep letting CT come back considering he’s a loose cannon with rage issues, and b) okay for them to make Adam work with CT. Adam bugs me, but I still feel really bad for him.

Best pairing: Ev and Paula

Although Ev and Paula don’t really like each other, their beef is nonspecific and more about the alliance they were in than each other. Paula even voiceovers that she’s happy to have Ev as a partner because she’s such a strong competitor, and Ev – and her new hot pink highlights – are looking great right now. Ev’s not as enthusiastic, though – she points out that Paula never wins, which is true. There’s a lot of ego between the two of them, but I think Ev could help Paula be less of a sad sack and stop thinking the guys will help her. Honorary mention for best pairing goes to Robin and Aneesa – they might kill each other, but it will be really entertaining to watch.

Related posts:

Post from: Crushable

The ‘Challenge’ Awards: Punching Someone Gets You Sent Home, Unless You’re CT

Hot Shot: Vincent Piazza, Ashlee Simpson’s New Boyfriend

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 08:08 AM PDT

Posted:

Post from: Crushable

No comments:

Post a Comment