Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Young, Black, and Fabulous

The Young, Black, and Fabulous


Dwight Howard Gets His Spanish Groove On In Madrid

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 07:03 AM PDT

 

NBA baller Dwight Howard was spotted in Madrid, Spain taking part in a promotional tour for Adidas Basketball and somewhere along the way, he join the locals for a very spirited dance.  See pics and video of Dwight dancing in Spain inside.....

Dwight Howard showed his playful side when he stopped through a cafe in Madrid and joined some local performers on stage for a dance or two.

 

He must have come straight from an Adidas gig as he still had his "ballin" gear on. And though he says he is happy in Orlando, Dwight's agent says the baller is still trying to decide if he will remain in Orlando or move to another team.

 

Watch the video and see his Dwight having fun all over Madrid.  He dances with the locals, drives his girlfriend around at the :36 mark and participates in a few Adidas events.

 

Photos via basket4us/Kike SZ9 (vía Délamon Circus)

SPOTTED: Nicki Minaj And Sarafee Samuel Dine Out In Hollywood

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 06:20 AM PDT

 

Rapper Nicki Minaj was spotted out dining in Hollywood last night with her hypeman (and rumored boyfriend) Sarafee Samuel.  Pics of the zebra print and stripes wearing rapper inside....

Nicki Minaj was spotted leaving the posh restaurant Katsuya in Hollywood last night.

She dined with her rumored boyfriend Sarafee Samuel (though she says she is single) and posed for pics on the way out.  There's just so much going on witht this outfit.  My eyes are thoroughly upset.

 


 

Nicki is currently on tour as the opening act for Britney Spears "Femme Fatale" show.

BONUS: Mary J. Blige has a new track with Nicki called "Feel Inside".  Check it:

 

The Randomness:

1. Jimmy "Henchman" Rosemond, one of the men associated with the 1994 shooting of Tupac Shakur, has been arrested on cocaine charges.  Story.  

Photos via PacificCoastNewsOnline

LaLa Goes Vintage Glam For PYNK Magazine, Talks Turning Down "Basketball Wives" & Having First Lady Of New York Title

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 05:28 AM PDT

 

LaLa Anthony is on the cover of PYNK magazine's debut issue.  And the basketball wife is talking about rejecting becoming a "Basketball Wife."  She's also dishing on how she really feels about being called the "First Lady of New York."

 

Pics and excerpts when your read on....

New York Knick Carmelo Anthony's wife LaLa glammed it up vintage style for the cover and pics of the mag.

And she has her second season of her reality show she's gearing up for this fall--"LaLa's Full Court Life."  It's on the same network as those "Basketball Wives"--VH1--so it's only natural to ask how she feels about them.  Excerpts from @Pynk's interview:

On Basketball Wives
“I was offered a spot on the show. I turned it down. I have absolutely nothing against basketball wives, the show Basketball Wives, or anything like that. But I pride myself in being more than just a basketball wife. I understand that’s something that I am, but that’s not a title that I want to define me. I’d rather be known as a mom, a businesswoman, a producer, an actress, a TV host. I just felt like that didn’t fit who I was and where my career was trying to go.”

On Being Referred To As The First Lady Of New York
“I kind of laugh when people say it. It’s an honor to be called [The First Lady Of New York.] For people to even put us in the same category as Jay-Z and Beyonce — that’s just an honor in itself, but I don’t deal well with titles. To me, actions speak more than anything. It’s about being in New York now and being active, as New Yorker’s get active in the community. And getting out there and showing people what we are about outside of our businesses, with philanthropy and different things like that. That’s how you prove who you really are. You can be given a label and a title but what does that mean when there is nothing behind it? So for us, it’s about really embracing the city of New York. We kind of rushed and got here quickly, but now that we are settling in we’re starting to get out there and do some charity work and let people really see what we’re about as individuals, and as a couple.”

Interesting...

PICS: The Obama Ladies Chill With The Kiddies In South Africa

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 03:27 PM PDT

After spending the morning visiting with South Africa's first black (former) President, Nelson Mandela, and his wife, Graca Machel, the Obama ladies continued their summer trip kickin' it with the kiddies.  Pics of First Lady Michelle, Sasha, and Malia partaking in their diplomatic efforts--all while looking fab--when you read on...

 

Their visit to the Mandelas' home was only 20 minutes in Johannesburg, so the Obama ladies had the rest of this afternoon to spend with the children of a nearby shantytown at Emthonjeni Community Center.

Mrs. O changed into this casual denim look from J.Crew--complete with a printed top from ASOS Africa and a bright yellow trench coat from one of her fave designers, Rachel Roy.

Loves the way the First Lady makes respectful diplomatic statements with her fashion.  According to the White House, The top from ASOS Africa is from a collection that has been designed, sourced and produced by community groups in Africa. The collection is produced in Kenya to support the work of SOKO, a workshop dedicated to developing sustainable and long term solutions to economic challenges in Kenyan communities. Part of the money goes to philanthropy.

Sasha and Malia read "Cat & The Hat" and sang songs with the 25 kids as their mom said she read it to them when they were kids.  Grandma Marian was on hand as well. 

They also stopped by the Apartheid Museum where Mrs. O snapped a pic with 75 young women selected by the State Department, who are participating in a forum with her tomorrow. Fab times!

 

BONUS: So who wants to hire President Obama to babysit their cranky crying babies?  He has the magic touch....

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Shemar Moore Heats Up MAXIMUM FITNESS' July/August 2011 Issue

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 11:59 AM PDT

 

The mag may have dropped last month.  But since we're probably not the only ones who missed it, here's some swexiness for your day.  Shemar Moore is covering the July/August 2011 issue of MAXIMUM FITNESS Magazine and we have the pics and highlights inside.  It's the first day of summer so we're heating this ish up....

41-year old Shemar Moore shares his workout tips with his fans in the latest issue of MAXIMUM FITNESS.

 

Yes indeedy.  He just co-hosted "The Talk" today on CBS--the same network on which he stars in "Criminal Minds."  Excerpt on how he made his body a work of art:

 

DO THE WORK


After cheating death and making it big, Shemar Moore is the same game man he's always been. Now, you can learn from his commitment and drive to look strong and lean—if you're willing to endure the pain.


BY MICHAEL DE MEDEIROS, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF PROGRAM BY JIMMY PEÑA

Shemar Moore can fly. On August 1, 2009, Moore took to the skies and was weightless—for about three seconds—with all the grace of the ill-fated dodo. “It was the scariest moment of my life,” says the star of the CBS hit drama Criminal Minds. But what could launch the six-foot-tall former fitness cover model, daytime heartthrob, host of Soul Train and door-smashing TV FBI agent so perilously, ultimately leaving him fearful for his life? An unstoppable 3,000-pound metal behemoth. This wasn’t the first scene of an independent science fiction script with as much chance of catching your attention as Gigli 2; this was the scene that Moore faced on a day that began like many others.

“On that day, I did everything right,” Moore tells me when we have a chance to sit down and talk on the set of his Maximum Fitness cover shoot. “What went wrong was that I got hit by a 70-year-old in an old-school Cadillac going 40 miles per hour!” He goes on to explain that he was out cycling at the time, which isn’t uncommon for the actor, who is well versed in most athletic pursuits and has recently been racing in charity cycling events for multiple sclerosis—a topic that hits very close to home since his mother is suffering from the disease.

“I didn’t see him or hear him coming—not a thing,” says Moore. “I felt him coming,” the actor tells me, smiling and trying to inject some humor into a moment that could have left him paralyzed or dead. With his smile fading, Moore quickly jettisons any shred of Hollywood prep and years of screen time, sits back in his chair and furls his brow. “I don’t remember spinning or flipping off my bike—nothing,” says Moore. His voice takes on a more serious tone: “I got lucky—and then some.”

Read the full article on magazine racks now. *passing around moist towelettes*

Meagan Good Covers HEART & SOUL Mag+Jill Scott Speaks On Divorce & More

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 11:34 AM PDT

Meagan Good is looking hot on the cover of Heart & Soul magazine.  Behind the scenes pics from her summery shoot, plus her opening up about her cancer scare and how she keeps her looks in tip-top form, plus Jill Scott dishing about her album and her divorce, when you read on....

 

Hottie Meagan Good is rocking the June/July issue of Heart & Soul mag wearing a bikini with a black mesh cover up and short shorts and interesting studded blue shoes.

And she dished to the mag about her healthy attitude both inside and out.

On her cancer scare:

It didn’t scare me. {She had cancerous cells removed from her uterus a few years ago} . When people don’t know they have something, they’re fine. When they do find out, they get worse. A lot is attitude. When you’re afraid and freaked out, that’s when it worsens. I try to keep a positive outlook.”

On her diet and how she stays in shape:

I cut out cheeseburgers all together, and I’m really sad because I love cheeseburgers.{ She cut back on red meat and juice after turning 30 in favor of seafood, grilled vegetables and water and she jogs about three or four times a week for 30 to 40 minutes.} And I do squats so I don’t lose my booty.”

On being ready for a serious relationship:

I’m definitely at a point in my life where I am ready to find a partner in crime—in a good way—who respects my mind and treats me like a partner and a best friend.”

On her girl group with sister Lamiya, H.E.L.L.O. Girls:

Our songs sound like the Beastie Boys meets Gwen Stefani meets Vanity Six. Mostly, they have spiritual undertones, but they’re not preachy. We’re telling women to respect themselves.”

 

The cover girl also ppened for Cee-Lo recently as part of the rock band H.E.L.L.O. Girls she fronts with her sister, Lamiya.

Source

Meanwhile, Jill Scott dropped her new Light of the Sun album today (and it's BANGIN' by the way).  So peep her video of her chatting about what's so special about this LP.  And her new interview with The Guardian UK below where she dishes how she knew her marriage to Lyzel was over:

I didn't leave home until 27. I was an only child raised in Philadelphia by my mother and grandmother. My grandmother controlled the stove. She made a lot of potato meals – mashed potato, potato souffle, potato pancakes. When we didn't have electricity we ate romantically, by candlelight.

I was treated as a princess, with room service. Sometimes I'd wake to a breakfast in bed of pork, scrambled eggs, grits and biscuits. We didn't have much, and they found a way to treat me as special as possible.

I was once making a burger for myself at my boyfriend's house and a lyric started pouring out and I had to catch it, so I ran to another room to write it down, but then the kitchen caught fire. His cabinets were charred, and he was furious. But it was worth it for a song.

People think that lemon is good for the voice, but it dries it out. Luther Vandross gave me a lot of advice. Cheeses are not our friend. Eat as much green vegetable as possible. I have hot tea on stage, scented with grand marnier – which isn't good for the voice but opens my head.

My character [Mma Ramotswe] in No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency ate wopani worms, so the actor Idris Elba and I decided to try them for real. The kids in Botswana eat them like potato chips. They were terrible. They crawl and have legs. I've never tasted dog food, but I imagine they taste like dog food.

One of the reasons my ex-husband and I broke up is that he stopped eating my food. He was pissed [off] for other reasons, but the best way to show me was by leaving what I'd made for him uneaten for days on the kitchen counter. It was a smack in the face.

My favourite food is Senegalese, which I discovered a few years ago in Paris. We went to a fabulous tiny restaurant called Au Village and I ate yassa poulet (a spicy lemon dish of chicken and caramelised onions served over rice) and blood sausage. I love foods that start in my cheeks and then vibrate up.

When I got my success I became decadent for a while. This was 2003 to 2008. I fell for tiramisu really hard. I've become more moderate since, because African-Americans are prone to diabetes. A nutritionist has told me to have very little butter and very little spices, but I can't live like that.

I panicked when my son, Jett, stopped eating baby food. He's only two but his food vocabulary is fantastic. He likes my baked tilapia and string beans with chopped garlic. But he really likes pizza. Sometimes every inanimate object to him is pizza.

Nice.

50 Cent Says GaGa Received An EASY Pop Star Status Because It's Harder For Black Artists To Crossover

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 10:11 AM PDT

Rapper 50 Cent has a new album coming out and things aren't going as smoothly for the former chart-topper as he would have hoped. And he says it's because of race. Get the deets inside....

50 Cent's record label is not happy with the progress of his upcoming Black Magic disc and 50 says part of that is due to his race.

"When you say Lady Gaga, pop artist, they want them to just deliver a song.  Her records go to Top 40 and crossover radio immediately. You can't really compare it to any artist that would be considered a pop artist or a white artist."

It seems as those radio isn't embracing the rap star like it once was and its harder for him to get a record played on Top 40/pop stations.  He says, white artists don't have that issue. 

In his interview with MTV News, he also said,

"What we consider urban radio or rhythmic radio was referred to as black radio at one point. That right there is something I'm conscious of."

I guess he believes radio programmers take race into consideration before they play a track.  What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment